Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 29 April 2023

A Walk Around Ynys-Hir.

When I looked out of the window this morning and saw beautiful blue skies I knew it would be a good day to head out for a walk. It was a different world when I looked out to sea as the sea mist was rapidly rolling in and blurring out the sight of the giant marker buoys that were put in place early this morning. It makes a change for the good weather to be inland but the sea mist soon burnt off.
While Peter went off to be cox for the rowers I went on my first solo walk to the RSPB reserve at Ynys-Hir (Long Island). I would sometimes drive out for a solo walk when we lived in Devon but hadn't got round to it here. It was talking to other members of the walking group who either live alone or like me have partners who are no longer able to go for walks. Hearing about their solo walks encouraged me to set off today and it was worth it.
Apart from the fact that there isn't a walk tomorrow due to a May Day party going on (A bit far for us) I wanted to get to Ynys Hir to see the bluebells that carpet the woods at this time of year. I may have to return in a week to see them at their best but even so they didn't disappoint.
With nearly 140 photos to chose from I decided that today's post will be overall views following my route with pretty pics and birds tomorrow. After all it is a bird reserve. Going through the woodlands in particular the air was filled with the sound of birdsong but apart from the whirr of a pheasant I couldn't tell you what species they were.
The first part of my walk took me through the woodland along the side of a hill that overlooks the salt marshes. Eventually I came to one of the hides where a family was watching the birds. The dad's camera had a telephoto lens that was about as long as my forearm. I asked what the magnification was but have since forgotten. It was a lot. They didn't stay long and I sat enjoying the cool air blowing in from the sea as it was extremly hot in the woods, I was glad I left my bodywarmer in the car but wished I'd worn shorts it was that hot.
Eventually I followed one of the paths down to the edge of the woods and took the track leading towards the saltmarshes.
This brought me to a small rise topped by trees around another hide. The bluebells were more in flower here probably due to the trees being more widely spaced.
I had my coffee and a bun here looking inland along the river valley that leads to Mach. Having been able to get closer to the trees I now know that the 'yellow' trees are not ash as I was told last week but are the common (sessile) oak.
After a short break as it was too hot to stay long, I carried on down alongside the saltmarsh to the large hide which overlooks a lake. Not a lot of birds on the lake but even I, a non-birder, could recognise Canada geese, a mallard and a pair of oyster catchers.
Then back through the woods to the visitors' centre and home. At home I got out the lawnmower and cut the paths around the lawn. The hardest part of that job was lifting the lawnmower over the outside boiler which almost blocks the path at the side of the house. Usually I bring the mower down via the pavement but the gate at the bottom of the garden is semi-blocked by the bag of topsoil.
I know it doesn't apply to all men but Peter certainly fits the stereotype of men who dislike shopping for clothes. He'll walk into a shop, go straight to the rack say of trousers, pick the first pair in his size, pay and leave. No looking at different styles or even trying on for size. Fast forward to this week. He bought a pair of wetboots for rowing, on-line. When they arrived, experienced shopper that I am I suggested he saved the packaging until he'd tried them on for size. This morning as he was getting ready to row I asked if he'd even tried them on yet. He hummed and hawed, said they looked okay, about the same as his last (different) pair. He eventually admitted that no he hadn't actually put his feet inside them. Fortunately he found they fitted fine. But....... later told me that as he walked down to the boat he felt they were a bit tight but that eased off once he was rowing. It was only when he took them off he realised he'd left the cardboard inside the boots. After he walked in the sea the cardboard got wet and hence more comfortable. I couldn't help but laugh. (He's fine with me telling this.)
Just had an email to say there will be a group walk on Monday as it's a Bank Holiday. Yipee.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

A beautiful walk with beautiful photos. I prefer walking alone as you probably already know. :)