Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 26 April 2023

Sunny.

Woke to a perfect gardening day, blue skies with the occasional cloud. With the wind picking up through the morning it was a good drying day too and I got two loads of washing out on the line.

Above is how the raised bed looked a few days ago and below is the result of today's work. Brought in half a bucketful at a time (any heavier causes problems with the old ribs) less than half the dumpy bag of top soil was needed to fill in around the rocks.The soil that was already in the bed had settled nicely and I did my best to compact the new soil. That was session one and session two had me doing the fun job of putting in the plants I bought and all the others I'd been propagating. 
So far planted are; Tulbaghia (social garlic), London Pride, aubretia, two colours of sedum, garden thrift, Atlas daisy and mouse eared gypsophila. Plenty of space for more rockery plants but they will have to survive the full force of the sea winds.
After filling the bed with soil I was having a break when I decided to ring the surgery to book an appointment as I had a few minor things I needed to discuss. Imagine my surprise when the receptionist said they had a slot free in 45 minutes if I could get there. Sure could. Got out of my gardening clothes and armed with my notebook marched down the road to see the doc. There's a new doctor at the surgery, a good thing as one of the doctors had to come back out of retirement to keep the place going and the other one is ready to retire. The new doctor seems on the ball and though I think her heart sank when I said I had a number of issues to talk about, having everything written down meant I was able to be consise and accurate. I came out with a handful of changed prescriptions but as the pharmacy is closed on Wednesday afternoons I'll have to pop back tomorrow. Such a hardship, having to walk along the beach for 10 minutes to get my medications.
On my way home two small children (5/7 years-ish) called to me from their garden gate. They had set up a 'shop' selling seedlings from their garden in an assortment of small pots. (Mum was working in the garden behind them.) I explained that I'd just been to the doctors and didn't actually have my purse with me. They were so cute and said they didn't want any money so I joined in the game and 'bought' a seedling to take home. 
It was after I got home that I had the fun job of planting up the bed. By the time it was done and the plants watered it was after 6.00 but I still had time to sit out with a coffee and enjoy the view. All day I've been enjoying the sound of the garden birds especially the blackbirds. There are a couple of youngsters around who are far too trusting. This morning Speedy was basking in the sun on one edge of the lawn while the silly blackbird was looking for worms on the other side. I got Speedy to come inside to give the poor bird a chance. Later I when I was sitting on the terrace a blackbird, maybe the same one, came down to the terrace no further than 6ft away and stayed there for quite a while. The swallows and house martins have also returned to the village from a winter spent in Africa. A sure sign that summer is on its way.

 

1 comment: