Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 8 April 2023

Sunny.

Sunny again today but with the wind blowing from the south-west it was nice and warm. Perfect drying weather too, I put two loads of washing out on the line and even the towels were dry by the end of the afternoon.
Peter went shopping this morning and took the big bag of garden waste down to the dump. He had to queue up behind 32 cars to get into the dump and there were queues on all the roads in town as well.
As soon as I could I went out to garden. I moved two red knautia to a spot in front of the hedge on the left. Sadly it looks as if all three of the established fuschia bushes there were killed by the extra cold winter. I won't pull them up yet in case they revive but I don't hold out much hope.
Then I turned my attention to the flower bed at the end of the garden. The two azalea bushes are just coming into flower. They are both lovely but the colours, bright Barbie pink and tomato red, clash horribly especially as the pink one is over the shrub with acid yellow leaves. After clearing away the dead stems of two hydrangeas one of which has some leaves growing from the base and digging up the last of the brambles from under the hedge, I was able to untangle the azaleas and hold them back temporarily behind garden stakes. I'm going to wait until they've finished flowering and see if I can train them back towards the hedge and then in opposite directions. My final garden job was to cut back about 18" off the front of the escallonia on the right boundary. It now looks like a hedge of brown sticks but the leaves will soon grow back.
I was doing the ironing when glancing out of the window I saw some children messing about with the trolleys the rowing club use to take the boat down to the water's edge. (The boat was out on the sea.) Each trolley has a pair of wheel on a metal frame and while the parents stood there canoodling (I kid you not) the children were running about with the trolleys. Then to add insult to injury they walked off with the trolleys leaving them half-way up the beach. How disrespectful of other people's property. It's too far for me to get there quickly otherwise I would have gone down and had a word.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Wow 32 cars is sure a lot. When we go to the dump there are usually just a few people and a lot of times we are the only ones.