Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 6 July 2023

A Bit of Rain.

It was soporofically warm this morning but later there were brief showers. By brief I mean minutes if that. There was the usual wind and the towels I hung on the line were nearly dry in a few hours.
In the morning cycled down to the community gardens for C&C where I was put to staking and tying up tomato plants in the communal plot.  That took me back to the days when as a teenager I sometimes picked tomatoes in a nearby market garden ( a very relaxed place where the owners were kind enough to let us earn some pocket money). After a few hours picking when we washed our hands the lather from the soap would turn a rich yellow from the tomatoes.) Cake today was cream cheese and strawberry muffins from a recipe Cat had found in The Guardian. Delicious. 
(Something, jackdaws I think, is running about on the roof of my study. Even Speedy is looking up at the ceiling.). 
After cycling home when I made it round the corner and all the way up the slope to the drive without stopping - yay! I spent a happy afternoon in the garden. Made more progress on the pond. Having carefully saved the rubber roofing left over from when the garage and kitchen were redone I now had the perfect material to use as an initial liner for the mini pond. I used some sort of builders' adhesive to glue the flexible sheeting to the bricks to hold it in place and then put a layer of sand in the bottom. Tomorrow I can trim the sheeting back and then once I put the underlay and liner in I can fill the pond. I also set the concrete tubs and trough in place on bricks and got them filled up. Little by little I'm getting there.

My joy in the day waned somewhat when I went down to look at the rebuilt pillar and wall. Firstly the pillar is smaller than the original one so that the stone on top overhangs a lot more than the one on the other side. But worst of all there is a big gap between the wall and the pillar. I didn't see the chap before he left so maybe he is coming back tomorrow to finish off. I hope so.
In general the finishing is not very good with jagged bits coming off the corner strips. I did tell them they didn't need to render the back of the pillar but I didn't mean the bit you can see from the street. Just the bit inside the garden that is hidden by the bush. Oh dear, I am not very happy. Especially as the rain will get in behind the render and it will soon fall off.
I managed to find a 'before' photo which shows that the pillar was not in the best condition and our regular builder had filled in the gap with a thin piece of concrete. But at least the wall was joined to the pillar.

 

No comments: