Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 10 August 2023

A Scorcher.

Hot and sunny for almost all the day. There were a few drops of rain later in the afternoon and then a shower in the evening. Both the beach and the sea were packed with holidaymakers for the whole day.
When I went to hang out some washing first thing that combination of heat with a warm wind took me right back to one of our last foreign holidays (about forty years ago) on the Greek island of Paros. Up early before the heat of the day set in. Once the breakfast things were cleared away and maybe some clothing washed by hand in the sink all there was to do was wait for a bus to the sea and spend the day lazing on the beach and swimming in the warm water. Then in the cool of the evening a walk in the pine groves with cicadas singing maybe followed by a visit to the village taverna. Wouldn't mind doing that again next year even if it has to be on my own.
But back to reality, after washing all the laminate flooring something we don't have to do that often, I cycled down to the community gardens for cake & cultivate. I didn't see anyone around when I first arrived so I cut back all the grass and weeds growing over the steps. As well as being organic, and that applies to the allotment holders too, the community areas and beds have the minimum of conventional gardening. Everything is allowed to grow in harmony and for the most part it works. But I was concerned that the very overgrown steps could be a hazard for anyone who is a bit unsteady so away I snipped and when the others came all the comments were positive. It was very hot while we had a lovely apple and nut cake but then the clouds began to roll in and it got a little cooler. I stayed on to plant up some spare chives from home in the herb garden after a couple of people had some for their own gardens.

One of the communal beds.
Even after the recent stripping of two trees there is still plenty of fruit ripening in the orchard.
After cycling home I baked a bara brith for Peter before starting on my garden gate. We still had a wooden door that the builder made when the utility room was rebuilt and didn't have any doors including to the outside. It's only pine tongue and groove but I might as well use it. I've cut it to size but I might need to cut a curved piece of wood to reinforce the curved top to the gate before staining it with wood preserver. Having got thoroughly hot (and sweaty) working in the garage I went on to do the same at disco aerobics. But it's fun and boy do you feel good afterwards. 
Walking home we saw the coastguards having one of their cliff rescue training evenings.
 

1 comment:

lea said...

I just collected all of the seed from my dry poppies, I got a surprising amount. Your memories of Greece reminds me of one of my favorite old movies, Shirley Valentine.