Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 28 August 2023

Bank Holiday Monday.

Fairly typical Bank Holiday weather, cloudy and not too warm. At least it hasn't been raining.
I was up early so after I'd done all the usual jobs I went off for a walk along the beach. I haven't been on the beach much this summer, mostly I've been too busy and when the weather was nice the beach has been crowded with holidaymakers. 

Early this morning there was hardly anyone on the beach, a couple of people and a few gulls.
And a lone oystercatcher rootling about in the rockpools.
This fledgling has learnt the trick of keeping at least one foot warm by tucking it up in its feathers.
After breakfast I was out again, this time in the garden digging up brambles. I wear a long sleeved top and gloves but still the various branches seem out to get me and my hands and arms are covered in scrapes. But there are only two bramble roots to get out and they can be left until later in the year when the hydrangeas have finished flowering. But before I can start moving more shrubs I need to repair the windbreak mesh on the side wall as the supports have given way. I think they've been in place for 30 years so that's not bad.
When my back had had enough I came inside and made five damson and apple crumbles. I looked on-line for tips to get the stones out of damsons but I don't have an olive stoner or a metal chip basket which apparently does the trick. I cooked them up to soften them and then wearing latex gloves tried mashing the stones out of each one which worked for me. Four will go in the freezer but the last one is for now. Of course that meant another march down to the shop for some cream. Custard would do but I can't bring myself to buy the ready made stuff and it's too much faff to make some up with powder. Cream is so much easier and in my view nicer.
 Almost forgot- last night we were treated to a wonderful fireworks display. It was far along the beach, maybe as far as the caravan park at Ynyslas but they were as big as and possibly better than the town fireworks in Barnstaple at New Year. We think it must have been for a wedding as there were several heart shaped fireworks amongst all the giant ball type fireworks. It was lovely watching the display from our terrace. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Those apple crumbles looks delicious!!!
Like the picture of the gulls checking out the water. :)