Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 24 August 2023

Mostly Sunny.

Once again we began with a grey and damp morning. Being optimistic I cycled down to the Community Gardens for cake & cultivate and sure enough the day kept improving until we ended up with a lovely sunny afternoon and evening.
At the community gardens I cut back nettles where they were encroaching on the path. In general the nettles and brambles are left to grow to encourage the wildlife unless they are seriously getting in the way. I managed to do that job without getting stung but later on when I was picking blackberries without gloves I got stung on my thumb which is now throbbing away. As well as the blackberries I brought home some apples and damsons. On the way home I called in at that nice shop and bought a carved driftwood oystercatcher as my anniversary (in October) present to Peter. 
In the afternoon there were a lot of people on the beach and in the water. The group that runs surfing for people with special needs was there. They have a surfboard fitted with a seat for people with mobility problems.
As I'm going to town tomorrow to do the shopping and to the dump (the MRI showed that Peter has damaged ligaments and cartilage in his knee and needs to rest for the moment) I filled up a couple more bags with stuff from the garden. Then I carried on trying to sort out the bit under the front hedge. I dug out more bramble roots but one went far out of reach. Instead I used kitchen foil to keep it off the soil and then painted on a gel root killer. That might be enough to stop the bramble without affecting the hedge. I'm still puzzling over what to do about the existing shrubs in front of the hedge. The horribly clashing pink and red azaleas, the golden privet and a random green shrub that I can't identify. It has big green berries on it but I don't remember seeing any flowers.
I wasn't going to waste the good weather so I stayed outside, this time on the terrace knitting a few more rows of the  cosy until it was time to walk down to the hall for disco aerobics. 
Quite a nice sunset this evening. Above is how it looked to the naked eye and below is what the camera saw when I zoomed in.

Even after the sun had gone below the horizon the sky was very pretty.

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Wow the sky looks on fire!!