Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 21 August 2023

Machynllth


For most of the day it has been very warm with a good drying wind. Black clouds overhead were a good indication that rain was due at some point and sure enough it arrived at around 6.00. And it was heavy rain not just a touch of gentle drizzle.
Because of various commitments it's been a while since we met up with our friends in Machynllth to practise our Welsh. 
Although Peter and I speak Welsh to each other at home it's generally the same basic sentences about the weather or what we are going to eat or do. As I suspected I found it hard to use full sentences with the correct mutations. We have a page in our text books called 'Game of Cards' that has 52 questions in either the present or the past tense and boy it was hard work going through those.
We started a new easy reader which is for a level much harder than we've got to so there was a lot of turning of dictionary pages and even using Google translate. And we keep coming across words that we recognise but haven't a clue what they mean. 
After our library session we went over to Owain Glyndwr Café in the Parliament House for some lunch. I don't normally eat lunch and after eating so well over the weekend I just had a slice of very nice apple pie with my coffee. I had my usual look around the charity shops but didn't find anything this time.
We went through a small rain shower on our way home so once home I grabbed the already dry washing from the line. I decided to do some gardening until the rain arrived and began work on the flowerbed inside the bottom hedge. Since we couldn't move the sundial I had to work around it the first stage being to dig as deep as I could to chase out the last remaining bramble roots. I dug down and down and still one disappeared down into the clay soil but I'd gone as far as I could scooping out the soil at full arm's length. If it does regrow I'll just have to use weed killer on it. There are a few more brambles under the hedge that need digging out too before I can have fun rearranging the azaleas and adding in more shrubs.

 

No comments: