Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 8 October 2008

Memories.

This morning we were greeted by blue skies and fluffy clouds.

Looking down at our neighbours' riding stables.
You can see how steep the road is, and because it is north facing it gets very little sun in the winter and has a tendency to have black ice. I've had a few near misses trying to get down it in icy conditions. Our house is to the left of the picture.
I chose a different way into work this afternoon and I was able to stop at the top of Whitefield Hill to get some views of the countryside.

Looking south-east towards Barnstaple.

Looking south-west over Bideford Bay towards Hartland.
Memories.
This morning I was sorting through some of Vytas' papers to look for a document that he needed and I came across a pile of birthday cards. (He's a hoarder, like me). Amongst the cards was one of those musical cards where you could record your own message. I had recorded myself singing Happy Birthday, as you do, but I had also got our dog Zulu to bark on the message. He would always bark if someone drove down into our valley and it was rather poignant to hear his husky bark again.


This is Zulu in his prime on Braunton Burrows. (I had to take a photo of a photo as though we have a scanner, it isn't plumbed into any of the computers.)




I also came across a diary that I had made Vytas write as a summer holiday task, ( he was 8 or 9 and definitely needed the writing practice.) It was a hot summer and apart from going to the beach we seem to have gone to a lot of car boot sales. Reports of how he and his brothers had been naughty made me laugh out loud but I thought I would show this account of going on a walk with our church. I think he had realised that in order to encourage them I would slightly under estimate the distance we were going to walk . I love that phrase 'strongly suspect'.






2 comments:

GemmieV said...

hello :) the pic of the riding stables you wrote your house is to the right of the pic when its to the left :P silly sausage xx

Domestic Executive said...

Great to see the surrounding area Ruta - I'd definitely be worried about ice on that hill having had bad experiences previously at my parents place when they lived in Hereford. Great pictures and loved the memories!