Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 4 November 2008

Early Morning Bats.

The evening sky on the way home tonight. Yesterday there was a most dramatic sunset which I failed miserably to take any decent photos of. After our photo trip Gemma showed me the manual settings on my camera, should have guessed what 'M' stood for, and hopefully with a little/lot of practice I'll be happier with my sky photos.


It wasn't too cold this morning and when I went out to feed the hens I was treated to the sight of 2 little bats swooping over my head.We have a small colony of pipistrelle bats which spends part of the year in one of the lofts. It is the same loft that the jackdaws nest in and I was worried that the jackdaws might have frightened the bats away, or worse, but I have been informed that bats have separate nursery roosts which is why they disappear for part of the year.

I spent the whole day teaching a year 2 class today and I'll be teaching them again tomorrow afternoon. I've just about got the names of all 120 children in the school sorted. Today was spent making cardboard and newspaper mexican-style masks and we even managed to get the first coat of paint on. That was quite an exercise in logistics as I was on my own with 28 children in the afternoon .


I found this clip of Lynton which gives a fairly good view of the town right next to The Valley of The Rocks. I'm not sure if the commentary is supposed to be straight reportage or dry humour , it falls somewhere between the two. Enjoy.



3 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

I LOVE bats. New Zealand's only native mammal is... the bat! There's a long-tailed and a short-tailed variety and they are so in need of more homes after the early European settlers cleared so much of the native forest.

We saw so many bats when we stayed in the Lake District UK summer 2007 and I was so excited. I remember some nesting in a neighbour's roof when I was a wee nipper and actually stroking one - sooo soft!

Good luck with 'M' setting on the camera too!

Sarah x

P.S. I'm in awe of you remembering all those names... that's no easy task! You're incredible!

http://www.chezlee.co.nz

Ruta M. said...

Thank you for the kind words. I'm not sure if my task is made easier or harder by so many names being repeated. There's an Archie and/or an Alfie in every class, and plenty of Sophies, Connors, What really throws me is when they look like an older brother/sister that I've already taught.

Ruta M. said...

Aargh, The pc ate a line of my comment. It should read ..... plenty of Sophies, Connors, Jacks and Lucys scattered throughout the school.