Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 21 November 2008

Buzzard Saga.

Buzzards are fairly common around here so when I first started this blog I thought it would be easy to get a good buzzard picture. I drive up and down this hill every day on my way to work and often there are 1 or 2 buzzards sitting on top of the telegraph poles that follow the road.
Normally they stay put even when you drive past but if you try and stop, even to take a photo through the windscreen........ they're off! I spent weeks scanning for those pesky birds, I tried coasting down the hill, camera at the ready, sunroof open in case I could get a better shot that way, even parking around the corner and crouching behind the hedge trying to creep up on the birds ....... but they always spotted me before I could get the camera aimed and focused. Irritatingly there was often a buzzard in the fields along the drive, sometimes just sitting on the fence or even just a few feet away.


I took to driving along our drive with the window open, the camera balanced on the steering wheel which I held with one hand while I kept waking up the camera by pushing the zoom button with the other hand. Eventually I got this long distance slightly blurry photo of a buzzard perched magnificently on ........ a pile of horse dung.

Another long distance photo showing just how big a buzzard is. They are about the same size as a golden eagle, (a falconer brought one to a WI evening).
When Johnny Kingdom came to our WI I asked his advice about how to get a good buzzard photo and he told he had found them very difficult to photo so I don't feel so bad that I still haven't managed to get a good photo.
I managed to do some more work in the garden this morning before going in to teach the reception class in the afternoon. I drove over to Sainsbury's after work, I rarely go there because it way out on the other side of town and generally more expensive than the supermarkets I go to. It is much bigger than the other supermarkets and I wasted a lot of time because it was full of families doing their week-end shop and also I didn't know where things were. They do have a very good clothes section and I treated myself to a zip up fleece hoody in a dull plum colour which I couldn't resist because it has a fluffy furry lining. I'm such a sucker for anything fluffy or sparkly though 50% of my wardrobe is black. No I'm not a goth, it's just I feel slimmer in black, but I do have lots of bright crocs to liven up my outfits.

4 comments:

★ Crazy Drile™ said...

Congratulations 4your blog!

Greetings from Chile!

Crazy Drile

Domestic Executive said...

Wow, thanks for all that effort to try and get the buzzard pictures. They are majestic birds that's for sure. I had such visions of you stalking them from the hedgerow it really made me laugh out loud. You've got the blogging bug and you'll now do anything to satisfy us hungry readers!

happyone said...

Glad you finally got the picture after working so hard for it!!
I've seen a few turkey buzzards while on my walks here by me. They are really ugly with red heads and necks. I have yet to get a picture of one.

Ruta M. said...

I didn't mention the fact that when I was creeping round the hedges I was on my way home from school and wearing a very bright pink t-shirt and crocs to match.No wonder I got spotted.