Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 27 June 2009

Free Strawberies.

I went into town early today for a gentle shop before the crowds filled the streets and the car park. I bought several summer tops as we are due more hot weather. The Met office has put out an official Heat health warning for next week saying temperatures may go up to 30 C and not drop below 18 C at night. They haven't specified where this will be and I doubt if it will be so hot here on the west coast. It has been hot today interspersed with dark clouds and now it is finally raining. In the High street, for the first time in my memory, there was a stall giving away strawberries and clotted cream. A lovely idea but it wasn't easy to see the purpose as there were just a few leaflets about the Pannier market on the stall. In terms of publicising the market there should have been some signs rather than leaving it to the girl handing out the strawberries to say that strawberries could be bought in the market. Still they did taste very nice.
At home the garden is now filled with flowers, (and a few weeds). I don't like formal rose gardens but I do enjoy having sprawling bushes covered with scented roses. I did some weeding when it was really hot and then I altered one of the tops I bought. It was a little too young for me and unflattering around the hips so I removed the bottom layer and am happy with the result. I'm very specific about the clothes I wear and while I'm not the world's greatest seamstress I'm happy to alter hems or even take out sleeves to end up with something that is to my taste and shape.




The honeysuckle is all in flower. One side of the house is covered with a honeysuckle and the scent by the front door is delicious.


I haven't yet heard from Vytas. It is about 4 hours drive down from Leicester providing there are no hold ups on the motorway. The campsite they go to at Kentisbury is only 8 mins drive away and the roast beef is all on the go. I also have to collect Romas from town at 7.00 as he missed the earlier bus. He phoned to say his battery was out so I can't check on his progress and Vytas' phone also seems to be out of action. That's my boys.

3 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

Strawberries and cream - must be Wimbledon week! Nice to know you're enjoying some hotter weather. The garden is looking lovely in that summer light.

Sarah Lee said...

As Julie says, perfect for Wimbledon! Just got off the phone to my folks and they said it was 22 degrees at 9am! They've been sleeping with just a sheet over them. They are very much enjoying the weather and are entertaining my parents in law this week, so they'll no doubt be dining in the garden a few evenings! Magic!

Mmmm, strawberries... :)

happyone said...

Free strawberries - yummy - my favorite fruit.
I like gardens that are a bit on the wild side too. It's more natural.