Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 13 June 2009

Old Barnstaple.

Despite it being Saturday it was an early start to the day as Peter had to leave by 7.00 to drive down to Camborne (230 miles round trip) for a day's study and exam, (it was to do with routers and other networking stuff). I too had an early start, did some housework and went into town earlyish. I had to visit the bank, post office and library and then had a leisurely stroll around the shops looking for that elusive top that will cover up the flab and still make me look totally glamorous. Needless to say such a thing doesn't exist but it's fun looking. I also searched for sunglasses to wear after I get my eyes done. I know what I want but even going into the pricey surf/sports shops I didn't find the right pair. I'll probably end up getting a £2 pair from Primark. It was sunny but cool in town and there weren't too many people around, I hate being jostled in crowds or having to dodge slow moving groups which always seem to stop right in front of me. I did manage to get some clear photos of some of the older parts of town. The spire of the church is twisted because after it was built the timbers shrank unevenly as they dried out.
This is a 14thC chapel that was later the school , (in one tiny room).

The almshouses are still lived in by 'the deserving poor', ie needy older residents of Barnstaple. These narrow alleys are the original town roads.
Back home I finished off some school paperwork and tried to enjoy the patches of sunshine. One minute it was burning hot, the next it would be rather cool.
More of the hardy geraniums are coming into flower. There is such a range of colours and sizes and they will flower for some weeks.
This one is psilostemon, a large flowered tall variety.

This is 'Roxanne' which I bought years ago at the Gardeners' World Show at the NEC.




As well as the iris there are 3 of the common varieties here.



I like the unusual foliage of this one which has a special place up in the scree garden.
Earlyish night tonight as we are both rather tired, as always.


2 comments:

happyone said...

The flowers are beautiful.
I must tell you again how much I enjoy reading books by Marcia Willett. Barnstaple was mentioned quite a few times in the book The Children's Hour and I thought of you each time. :-)

Domestic Executive said...

Fabulous pictures again Ruta. I so miss England's historical buildings. Those flowers from the garden are awesome. Colourful that shines a bit of a bright light across the internet as I was the sleet coming down outside the window here!