Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 23 August 2009

A Garden Day.


Today has been dry but overcast. There was a bit of rain in the middle of the day which was enough to put me off going to the car boot sale. I'd like to fit in one more car boot sale before the end of summer. Peter had lots of OU work to do so once I got myself organised I was outside again clearing more weeds. Here are some of the steps Romas sorted yesterday, that go half way up the steep clay bank that dominates the garden.


And the steps he worked on in the middle of the bank. I keep them as grass steps but over the years they develop a slope which can be treacherous in wet weather. Originally this was a jumble of rocks and builders' rubbish and the whole bank has virtually no top soil at all so I am quite pleased at the way it has turned out.There is a second path higher up the bank which is where I have been working on clearing weeds. The bit on the left hand side has some horrible grass growing in it with thick runners deep in the soil so I'm going to have to dig the whole lot up and then replace the London Pride which carpeted that whole section. The scree garden, once the pool, is on the terrace above the bank.

This afternoon Linas down loaded the software to get my negative scanner working and I've started scanning in my 35mm negatives. It is quite time consuming and today's films were from the year we moved here when there was no garden at all and there were no trees on our neighbour's piece of rough land below his fields. We used to have a clear view up the hill but now we are totally screened by the full grown trees.


It is my birthday today so I have been indulging in some nice chocolates but the planned beach barbecue has been postponed until Peter is not so busy with his studies. The boys cooked a lovely supper but forgot about such sissy things as cards. That's boys for you. I don't even get upset any more. This card from a friend says it all.
Well, it made me laugh out loud.

2 comments:

happyone said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

You've been doing lots of weeding - it all looks so pretty.

A dry cooler day here by me.

Sarah Lee said...

Happy Birthday! I loved that card - so funny and spot on! Glad you enjoyed a nice Birthday supper.