Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 17 August 2009

Garden Visitors.

We had a visitor in our garden last night. Linas spotted this Red Deer hind just 20 ft from the conservatory. I went out quietly with my camera and even though the deer moved up near the pond it stayed there quite calmly.


The light was quite low so the pictures didn't come out that well even though I took lots.It was even relaxed enough to eat though it did keep its eyes on me. Look at those big white ears.


Eventually I tried creeping nearer to it and it ran off up the valley along the little stream. It is all farm land around here with the nearest woods a few miles away but we do see deer occasionally.
We had some rain this morning but it cleared up by lunchtime. Romas and I managed to saw up a metal bedframe and then packed my little car full of stuff for the dump. I felt bad about throwing out a perfectly good tv but I've offered it on freecycle and to Vytas but nobody wants it and it has just been moved from one bedroom to another taking up space.


Before it goes over I had to show this giant surfinia flower in one of my hanging baskets. It is easily twice the size of any of the other flowers. I wonder if the other buds on that branch will also produce such big flowers.

I found this moth, The Lackey, caught outside in some cobweb on one of the windows. I found one of these flying around my pc the other day but the photos were blurry.It was very mild this evening so I went for a stroll up the hill. There were 3 buzzards in the ponies' field. They have been hanging around the valley for the last week calling away and I wonder if they are youngsters who have been turfed out of their nest.
The sky was quite pretty in shades of pink and blue but the air was heavy with the smell of slurry as the farmer had been out muck spreading the silage fields.

2 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

How wonderful to see a red deer so close to your home! You are so fortunate to live with such an abundance of nature on your doorstep. I can just imagine you, with camera in hand, quietly 'stalking' the deer. I love trying to capture wildlife on film - never an easy task - but I always enjoy the challenge.

Sounds like you had a lovely walk in the fields too.

Domestic Executive said...

My goodness - your garden is a veritable smorgasbord of nature. Seeing that deer for real must have been wonderful. JT