Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 24 August 2009

A walk At Morte Point.

This morning as I went off to my physio appointment the weather did not look good. Lots of rain and the roads already beginning to flood right across. There is some improvement with my shoulder but I wasn't impressed when the physio implied that I might have a low pain threshold, HAH ! I only went to the doctor when the pain was waking me up several times a night. Anyway he said that shoulders usually take 3 months to get sorted so it's going to be a long process. Back home I was all set to carry on copying my negatives when reading Sarah Lee's blog inspired to go on a cliff walk despite the rain. Romas wanted to come with me, that saves me carrying a backpack, and by the time we had made a flask of coffee and packed our waterproofs the rain had stopped. In fact once we got to my favourite place to walk, Morte Point, the rain had vanished and we had blue skies and sunshine.


I think this is such a beautiful place to walk. The sea was several shades of blue, fluffy white clouds dotted the sky and Lundy could be seen on the horizon. The sun had brought out the holiday makers but there is enough space for everyone to spread out and it didn't seem too crowded.

As usual I was on the look out for grey seals. Normally I can count on seeing one or two on this stretch of the coast. First we saw one head bobbing in the water, then another and another.


The tide was quite low and the first seal pulled itself out of the water onto an exposed rock. That started a trend as one by one the other seals found themselves a spot on the seaweed strewn island. There was a bit of bickering going on and for the first time I heard the seals using a 'groaning' noise when another seal tried to get into their space.
Eventually as the tide dropped there was enough room for 5 of them on this rock. There is a 6th seal in the water trying to find its way on as well. There were plenty of other suitable rocky outcrops but this was obviously the only one that would do.




As more walkers came by they also stopped to look at and photograph the seals. (Their rock was just off the bottom right hand side of the picture.) Some of the walkers ventured lower down the cliff to get a better view.


When we stopped for a coffee break Romas was up to his usual trick of frightening me by going close to the cliff edge.



All in all it was a glorious walk and I'm so glad that I decided to be a bit more energetic.



2 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

Sorry to hear about your shoulder (and the less than sympathetic doctor).

On a happier note - wow - that walk is so beautiful and to see so many seals as well - what a bonus! I'm so glad the rain abated for your walk. Looks fabulous and I really did enjoy your photographs.

happyone said...

Your walk looks and sounds just about perfect.
Great photos.