Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 3 August 2009

A Wet Grotty Day.

Look. it's been raining again today. This morning I took some extra painkillers to get some more sleep. Otherwise I've been having to get up early every morning because the shoulder doesn't ease off until I walk around but I felt that my headache and tiredness needed sleeping off. I'm back to the physio tomorrow morning. We are wondering again about the old swine flu. One of the girls at camp was sent home with all the symptoms and the next day her best friend also had to go home. She has actually had blood tests that confirmed swine flu so now Romas is working out the infection time and keeping his fingers crossed that he won't develop it just in time for next weekend when he is due to go to a major muster at Weston. We are planning to go along to watch the battle which will be on the beach with the sand being bulldozed into ramparts etc. I'm not sure how I feel about watching after all those years of taking part, I expect we'll both be wishing we were out there in the thick of things.
I had a quick wander round the garden before the heavy rain set in. Even managed to do a little gardening. The swallows have left their nest so all is quiet in the outbuildings. Down by the pond I found these 2 cabbage white butterflies have a rest on a rather tatty arum lily.

Yesterday as we drove home I had my assistant take some pictures out of the car window.

As I had already got pictures of Stonehenge Romas took some pictures of the burial mounds that are in the surrounding fields.






Looking out across Salisbury Plain.

Now back in Devon (note grey sky), on the Link Road, I think at Rackenford. Sometimes you can see Exmoor ponies out on the moor here.
There are some very big hills as you drive into Devon which give great views across the rolling Devon countryside. I was watching out for decent lay-bys and it is clear that the council looks on lay-bys as somewhere to stop in an emergency rather than somewhere to stretch your legs and enjoy the veiw. This is a little at odds with all the signs reminding you that ' tiredness kills, take a break'.

2 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

Finger's crossed for good health for the muster on the beach, sounds fabulous!

Those burial mounds are always so mysterious looking somehow.

Love your comments about the lay-bys - or lack of them for resting/enjoying the view!

Hope the rain stops soon!

It's pelting it down here today, but we did have a fabulous day of sunshine yesterday - so I feel like I got my fix for a day or two!

Domestic Executive said...

Typical English weather - the perfect reason for you to be staying in and resting that shoulder.

Fantastic shots of the garden - I hope that it is enjoying the rain.