Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Job Done.

The sun has shone for the whole day, it has even been a little warmer too. Water lily and a few tadpoles in the round pond.
I finally finished the steps though looking at them now I can see that the very last slab I laid is not level. Never mind, on the whole I am satisfied with my work and it is a lot better than the partially built step that was there originally, (that explains the odd height of the steps). The steps were on the 'to do' list for the last few years and after 2 failed attempts by my strapping sons I got on with the job myself. I carried all the materials up from my car, mixed the concrete and did all the construction in my own fashion using various household implements - kitchen knife, ash shovel, broken garden trowel, watering can and of course a chair to sit on while I mixed cement in the wheel barrow. Having started with minor building jobs I also replaced one of the large slabs in the patio at the house. Back to school in the afternoon to work with the youngest children and on my return home it was time for the mowing. It's not my favourite job but I look on it as my weekly work-out.
My neighbours' son came visiting with his dogs and he confirmed that there is only one gosling left. I was a bit worried that my cats might have been the culprits but it turns out that the female call duck has also been taken. An otter is suspected as otter spraint has been found. It is sad about the birds but rather thrilling to have an otter in the area (this is Tarka country). The stream is far too small to be providing much in the way of fish for an otter. However 3 fields away a neighbouring farmer has a large pond by another stream and in this pond he grows? large rainbow trout for his suppers. He took us there once and we could see lots of very large fish swimming in the crystal clear water, a veritable feast for an otter!

1 comment:

happyone said...

I think your new steps look fine. Nice Job!