Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 2 December 2011

Chilly Day.

Today I am thankful for our postman who drives down in his van to deliver post to the front door. And even when there's a bunch of junk mail to go straight in the bin that's good too because that pays for the cost of our rural deliveries. Unlike in towns, our postmen use their commonsense and if we are out when they need to deliver parcels they put them in the porch. And if I have post to be sent they will take that for me though I don't think that's part of their job. Today I handed over a batch of Christmas cards. That saves me having to remember to stop at a post box on my way to work.

I am also thankul that my mother, even though we were poor, paid for me to have piano lessons from the age of 6. I get such pleasure from being able to play the piano. I don't play very well and freeze up if asked to perform in front of people (I had to practise a lot to be able to play a few carols in last year's school Nativity concert), but I will happily play for hours just for my own delight. I'm a serious Lord of The Rings fan and love to work my way through the music from the trilogy. Lately I have gone back to playing Einaudi's Primavera which is very soothing.

It feels like winter today. When I let the cats in first thing this morning they had to run in through a massive hailstorm. There have been icy showers all day long so I was glad to see the oil man turn up to fill up the oil tank. That will keep the Rayburn burning and in dire emegencies we can turn on the central heating.


Yesterday's DIY got me all enthusiastic so this morning I added some extra details to the little shelf unit. Now the top is fitted to the shape of the sink and the 2 top pieces swivel out so that you can move the unit right out to get to the pipes or decorate the wall. Then I set up my mother's electric sewing machine. It is a bit tricky to get the tension right and any adjustments can result in a mass of threads at the back of the sewing but it is usually ok for basic seams. I made a simple curtain for the shelves and at the moment it is threaded on a piece of wire from the shed but I will buy some proper curtain wire when I go to town. As I was in sewing mode I also made adjustments to a pair of fleecy pyjama/lounging trousers that I had bought cheaply in a summer sale. A quick seam along each leg and some handsewing at the waistband, a new belt made from the excess fabric and I've got something warm to wear in the evenings. I also found some hand sewing to do which kept me in the nice warm kitchen. So I feel I've had a productive day which gives me a sense of satisfaction.


The cats thought they would keep warm in the kitchen too. They do have warm beds in the conservatory at night though that doesn't compare with snuggling up to the Rayburn.

No comments: