Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 5 December 2011

Winter.

Winter is finally here. This morning the TV showed snowy scenes in Scotland and the north of the country. Then they mentioned 'sleet showers on the moors', that's us and it certainly felt very cold. All night long the wind had been roaring through the trees and the wind chimes that hang by the front door had been chiming away. I once heard on the radio that there is nothing so annoying as other peoples' wind chimes so I am glad that we do not have any neighbours to irritate with my wind chimes. I started the day with a good hoovering session, that warmed me up and got one job out of the way. For a break I sat down with a cup of fresh coffee at the PC. This made me realise how thankful I am for the Internet. Although by nature I am a solitary person I also like to communicate (but not by phone). Back in the old days I would write long letters but now emails provide instant communication. Facebook provides me with glimpses into the lives of 2 of my sons and also to see what other friends are getting up to. I'm not allowed to post on Vytas' wall, obviously I'm far too embarrassing, but he will respond to private messages. Linas won't have me as a 'friend' but he is very prompt at answering emails. This blog has grown from simply letting the family know what's going on at home into a far wider circle and I've met a wide group of fellow bloggers. And then there's shopping with the ability to search for specific items and look for bargains. And finally for relaxation I can always find a quick puzzle on Jigidi. And yet none of this was possible 20 years ago and personal computors were the stuff of science fiction when I was young. How the world has changed.
In between the hail showers I filled the car with another load for the dump, I just love clearing out stuff. Then it was off to work where I had to make more leis for our Hawaiian dancers as the boys want them as well even though they are supposed to be surfers. After school we had a staff meeting which finished in time for me to get to the Co-op for the 75% reductions. Best bargain was some Italian flat breads smothered in Parmesan, garlic, butter and coriander. They went into the freezer as they can be oven baked from frozen and are scrumptious. Then back home for more lei making. On the drive home the last mile of road was covered with icy slush from the last hail shower. I'm glad I'm not driving up the hill early in the morning.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Many years ago, I worked for an accountant. One of my very tedious and stressful jobs was to type financial reports for certain clients. These reports were typed making 5 carbon copies and were in a spreadsheet format using very wide, naturally, special paper. Imagine my dismay when I would very carefully and cautiously get to the very bottom and since the IBM selectric did not have a double line key, I would attempt to creat two final double lines with very little space between AND fail. This meant start all over again. I can remember saying someday someone will invent a typewriter that one could speak into and create those darn reports. This would have been 1970. Along came computers and low and behold that problem no longer exists. Progress is a wonderful thing.

It is snow/rain in Michigan as I type this.

Anne said...

it sounds like you ahve escaped to perfection, my brother and sister in law are looking for a house in north devon as we speak and I will be able to visit this lovely area once the move down and escape from birmingham!

I often wonder about the world in which my children are growing up in, they have touch screen hand held comupters to learn their alphabets, when's it my time? I annoy them and get out the flash cards, that's how i learnt! There are such wonderful things on the internet especially meant to bring people closer and keep in touch easier but even text messaging i miss a good conversation sometimes, another perspective on my thoughts as i am having them!
Maybe you should get another windchime one that you like the sound of then at least it would drown out the other one? I am still trying to pass my driving test, it fear it may be cancelled on saturday due to the ice! oh well! Thank you for showing me a picture of live away from the city, how i wish it was my family moving!

happyone said...

It was cold here but once again we are having unseasonably warm days.
I love to hear wind chimes, mine or other peoples.
My blog started out for family too and now they hardly ever read it.
I am so happy that i've found the blogging world and the many friends here.