Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 1 December 2011

Giving Thanks.

Today is the day that children start to open their Advent Calendars in anticipation of Christmas. I thought it would be good to stop grumbling about things and instead celebrate and give thanks for the good things that happen each day.



I am so thankful for the fact that my job is mostly afternoons. I am a morning person and usually I am quite happy to wake up at 6.00 with Peter but today was one of those days when I was so tired that it was simply wonderful to be able to roll over and catch a few more hours sleep. It wasn't so helpful to Peter that in my drowsy state for some reason I thought it was still the middle of the night and decided to turn off the radio.


Later in the morning while I was tidying up one of the spare bedrooms I thought how thankful I am that there are enough rooms in this rambling old house for all the boys, their partners, our friends and their children to come and stay at the same time. Our Christmas will be very quiet with only Linas being at home but a few days later the house will be full until after the New Year.

I spent most of the morning in Romas' room. I had moved a chest of drawers out of our room into there and needed to sort things out. His desk, which I had made many years ago from a recycled cheap desk and a piece of kitchen work top had gone beyond rickety to the point of falling apart so I broke it up. I rebuilt part of it and made a shelf unit to fit under the sink. Nothing special but it is a little more storage space and has only cost me time and a bit of electricity. I've found a piece of the fabric that I used for the window and wardrobe curtains so I can make a curtain for the front of the shelves. So I will have to go out and buy a little piece of curtain wire.
In the afternoon we had a run through of the Christmas play which was surprisingly good considering how little practice the children have had.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Stopping to be thankful always cheers one up.
A happy day to you.