Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 19 December 2011

Not Working!

It has been a frustrating day today. The continual rain put paid to my first plan which was to walk over to our neighbours to deliver a card and a present for Jack and then walk to deliver cards to neighbours about a mile away. Never mind, I thought, I'll get on with some home repairs. When we moved in we saved money by simply rearranging the kitchen units and replacing the tatty worktops with smart beech wood tops. Over the years I have taken care not to use knives directly on the wood, to mop up any water around the sink and not put wet tins directly on the wood. Unfortunately my family continue to see this as an affront to their personal freedom, yet more of my 'rules' and confirmation of my need to control everything. The result is a marked and scarred worktop with blackened wood around the sink which has crumbled away in places. I have bought some special wood fillers which you blend together to match the colour but first I needed to sand off the stains and try and get below the scratches. It's far too big a job to do by hand so I got out the old electric hand sander only to find the motor grinding to nothing. No spare money left this Christmas so I'll have to wait and maybe get something in the sales. Also the washing I put in the machine before 8.00 was still swishing round at 12.00. I flushed out the water inlet and got it working but I fear that machine's days are numbered. After such a grumbly start to the day it was hard to think what today has made me feel thankful and then it hit me .......... just how trivial my 'bad' day has been. And I am truly thankful that all that is stressing me out is a careless family and busted equipment. My family's lives are not in danger through illness, lack of medicine or violence and we all have safe homes that are not threatened by natural disasters. There is just no comparison.
I got some more baking done, a chocolate cake for my sons and special flapjacks (with apricot and chocolate) for Peter.


The stream is flowing strongly and has risen and spread over the bog garden but I have been assured that the house is in no danger.



1 comment:

happyone said...

Sorry about your bad day but like you said you still have lots to be thankful for. : ) You have a great attitude.
A happy day to you.