Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 9 December 2011

Staff Do.

Tonight I have been out with colleagues for our Christmas meal (& disco). We didn't leave until 1.00 which shows that we must have been enjoying ourselves. It was at the same place we went to 2 years ago and it is so much nicer to be able to get up and dance and then return to our tables rather than going for a meal in a restaurant where once the meal is over you all go home. The meal was very good with the beef not being quite so good as at the Station Inn but with a much better selection of vegetables. I chose ratatouille, cauliflower in cheese sauce and red cabbage to go with my beef. The horseradish sauce was an experience. Over my years of dieting I have become much less tolerant of spicy food especially chili but I do like mustard and also horseradish sauce. Tonight's fresh horseradish sauce had such a kick that it literally sent the back of your nose into spasm, (great for clearing a sinus infection). But it was so tasty that I couldn't resist spreading some on each forkful of beef. The hotel was full with over 200 people there but it didn't feel overcrowded. There were at least 8 groups of revellers, mainly on works dos but there was one group celebrating an 18th birthday and another celebrating a 16th birthday. There was also a large group of respectable older ladies in their evening wear who were the most raucous in the room and were having a wild time. Everyone danced, a lot, and at one point my colleagues got the DJ to play a Beach Boys track so we could dance a version of my Hawaiian surfers' dance. It has been a great evening and I am glad I decided to go along. On the way home a Barn owl swooped across the road in front of me and when I got home I took time to stand outside and admire the full moon lighting up the clouds and the stars shining in the night sky.Today I am thankful for my friends at work. I have worked with some of my colleagues for many years and there is always a friendly face when I go into the staffroom. Over the years we have supported each other in our work which can be stressful, commiserated and been a listening ear when family or health problems arise and celebrated together. And best of all we have a good laugh together.



My afternoon was spent at work. We had the whole school in the hall to practise/learn the carols that they will be singing in the Christingle/Nativity service next Tuesday. I managed to get through the piano playing without any problems which was a relief.
On the way in to work the view one way was bright and sunny,
while in the other direction could be seen the heavy cloud bank which was coming in from the sea. The wind itself was icy while I was taking these photos. (Last night's storms in Scotland were the worst for 10 years with winds of up to 140mph and thousands of people losing their electricity. The police were advising people to stay at home.)
On the way home rain could be seen falling in all directions. Tonight it is clear and dry with cold weather forecast for tomorrow.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Sounds like you had a great time. It is so nice that you have a bunch of people to work with that you can have a good time with too. I think it makes work much more enjoyable.