Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Apologies.

...for the interruption to the daily blog. This was courtesy of BT, our Internet provider. Peter spent Sunday on the phone to them (mostly in India) to try and get an improvement on our fantastic speed of 125KB with the result that we got cut off altogether. Many more phone calls later he spoke to someone in the UK who said there had been a problem in our area, then surprise, surprise our Home Hub was now no longer working. Nothing to do with them of course so we would have to pay for a new one. Funny how that happened just when they started working on the local server. Luckily we did have a spare which is now up and running but we are looking into getting a satellite connection. Anyway .. Monday I went to Exeter to see my consultant again. I had gone with high hopes that I would get an actual date for my operation but it's only a promise for the end of July. I won't hold my breath but at least I have signed the consent forms. The private hospital wasn't as swish as I thought it would be but at least there was a (free) good quality coffee machine in the waiting room. I combined my visit with some shopping and ate my lunch on the cathedral green which until recently had been the site of a anti- big business protest camp. The weather was warm and sunny but with a cooling breeze. As I sat there the general hum of people chatting and a few children playing sounded just like being on the beach. Especially as there was not a single electronic sound, no radios etc. I find it so awful when some one plays a radio on the beach, it sounds so intrusive though conversely it has been magical when someone plays a guitar on the beach. Am I an old fuddy duddy?
This little park outside the city wall, the red structure behind the trees, has been closed uo to now for refurishment so as it is now open I walked in and up to the war memorial. After buying a couple of tops for work and having a splurge in the pound shop I took an earlier train back to Barnstaple. The train was full up including a group of older ladies. They were fun to listen to with their strong North Devon accents and lively humour. One got chatting to a young girl sitting opposite her and it turned out the girl was going on holiday to the same town in Tunisia that the older lady had been to recently and she told her all about her parascending behind a speedboat adventure. Another answered her phone by telling the caller twice that she was on the bus before realising she was actually on the train. That made us all laugh.
I am working a lot at the moment to cover for a younger member of staff who has hurt her back but it will soon be half-term. Here's hoping that the Internet stays up and running.

No comments: