Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 11 May 2012

Race Watching.

Before we went out to the Scilly Isles I did wonder how I was going to be able to watch the long sea races but once we got there I found that there were a number of equally enjoyable ways to watch the races. As the Friday races were quite late in the evening, 7.00 & 8.00pm, I decided to pay to go out in a spectator boat. I went in the red one (closer to the quay), which was identical to the blue boat. The only difference was that we had an eccentric french crewman who played the accordion and sometimes a bugle.
The Veteran Ladies race was first and our boat went right along the start line so we could all cheer on our crews. Our A crew were in Lady Freida (the red gig) and I think they were a little surprised to see a lone figure yelling encouragement at them. Once the race started (by our boat captain waving a flag) we motored along beside the gigs though as they spread out we followed the leaders with lots of yelling from rival supporters. Both of our ladies' crews had a poor start because each cox was given a walkie-talkie to receive instructions and the countdown but theirs' and about 20 others' radios went silent and they didn't get the start signal so they were still waiting when everyone had shot off.


An hour later I was back out on the same boat watching the Veteran Men's race. This time the boat didn't go along the line up so I didn't get a chance to shout to Peter in the Lady Freida but I did see them in the middle of the pack (the furthest away red gig in the photo above). Then we went ahead alongside the lead gigs so I didn't get a good view of them again but it was great fun being out in the spectator boats. I did notice they were all leaning over quite markedly but you don't worry in the excitement of the moment.



View from the cliffs of the men's crews rowing out.


On the Saturday I chose to watch the long races from the cliff to get a good overhead view. I went right along to where I could see the 127 ladies' crews line up for their start. Once they set off I went off for a cliff walk in the opposite direction keeping an eye open for the first of the men's crew coming up for their race. I then walked back towards town to about the half-way point so that I had a great view of the main part of the race.




On Saturday afternoon they had the first of their sprints. I went down to the beach to wave Peter and the rest of the men's B crew off. Then I decided to have a rest from watching and just relaxed on the sand and waited for their return.




Sunday they had 2 more sprints and this time I went out to the quay and stood just behind the officials at the finish line. I got a good view by standing on a metal block about 2 ft high. I took off my sandals to get a better grip and after being the only person yelling for Barnstaple when the men's B crew came in, I leapt off the block, abandoned my sandals, backpack, money etc and ran to the far side of the quay to get a few photos of men's B in Leah C. The men and ladies alternated races so for the final race I stood in almost the same place with more of our club members but I let the club 'photographer' (a rather loud character whose Nikon + telephoto lens need a small suitcase), stand on the metal block.




The B crew were in the first group so I walked round to the town beach to congratulate my tired hero. It was an extremely low tide and the crews were having to get out and walk the boats through the harbour. If you look carefully at the photo above you can see another group of gigs racing to the finish line just behind the yellow boat.


And now ..... GOOD NEWS! I got a letter today asking me to come for a hospital appointment in a weeks' time. Because I have been waiting nearly 36 weeks for my operation (the government limit is 18 weeks), the hospitals are transferring some of their patients to private hospitals. I will still be with the same surgeon and the hospital is adjacent to the NHS hospital in Exeter but is more like a hotel than a hospital. So I may be having my operation soon ....... at last. I've been teaching all day but the whole day has been quite relaxed. And the sun has finally come out again.

No comments: