Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 27 May 2012

Not So Hot.

It was 15 degrees cooler today and fairly overcast. We had wondered if we were going to have thunderstorms but apart from a few drops of rain in the afternoon it has stayed dry. We took ourselves off for a walk around Morte Point. On our way out we saw a couple of heifers in one of the pony fields. Two of the stable girls had seen them too and by the time we got home they had gone, presumably chased back to where they came from. Originally we had planned to go down the little wooded valley the leads to Bennet's Mouth but now that it is the holiday season there is no parking allowed at all on the lighthouse road. The sheep are back out with fat lambs in tow. (Fat lamb is a farming term for these chunky sized chaps.)
Everywhere we looked there were sheep sprawled on the hillside enjoying the warmth. Yesterday must have been uncomfortable for them as it is too early in the year for shearing. Halfway through our walk I took off my body warmer and used my handy coat strap to carry it rolled up with the strap slung over my shoulders. I was wondering if I should patent my little invention but then there are probably not many people like me who hate being too hot but don't want to carry a big backpack or a coat in their arms. There were a fair number of people about especially in the village. We Brits are quite reserved and normally if you pass someone on the path a smile and a brief hello suffice. Today it was refreshing to be greeted by a young (20s) girl who struck up a conversation asking us about dolphins and whales, (very rare), and saying how beautiful it was. I do sometimes chat to people but it would be so nice if that wasn't seen as something unusual.


Every now and then the sun made an effort to shine but I fear that the hot spell is over for the time being. I did some gentle gardening in the afternoon and Peter prepared another barbecue, pork this time, which for a change we ate down by the back lawn.

PS The Russian grannies came second.

No comments: