Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 6 January 2023

Windy.

Grey and very windy today with only one (as far as I can tell) shower.
Following a relaxed morning I headed off to town for an afternoon of shopping. The sensible route of Lidl first, then down to Morrisons to get anything they didn't have in Lidl. After that it was a matter of meandering around different shops looking to see if there were any sales bargains, there weren't and not very much in the sales at all. I think shopping is changing these days anyway and of course Aber is a much smaller town than I'm used to. (Barnstaple and before that London.) I dropped off some of Peter's clothes at a charity shop and waved my phone at the nice chap in the phone shop. I was concerned that I was still getting Peter's emails and that they were eating up my credit. The chap closed the account that was loading emails on my phone and switched off the internet again.
Peter had given me a voucher for brownies from Pwdn [puddin], the posh brownie shop but to my disappointment when I got there they were closed and won't be opening for another two weeks. However I also went to the dentists, only a few doors along the same street, and booked myself in for a check-up at the end of the month. I can look forward to getting the brownies then.
Naturally I had a wander round the charity shops and found this pretty paperweight for £2 plus I bought two large clip frames for posters at £3.50 each.
When I eventually got home there was a package waiting for me from Vytas filled with chocolates from a local artisan chocolatier. For Peter there had been a delivery of a large amount of sausages and other meats from a local butcher that has a good reputation. Vytas and Sally know our tastes well.
And now for some photos from the exhibition at the Arts Centre. It was a mix of old and contemporary ceramics and if I remember rightly the large slipware vessels below were 15C-17C. Impressive at least.
The vases below were by a contemporary potter who had been influenced by Japanese ceramics.
The large grey vase was impressive in size but I don't think it quite works, or at least it's not to my taste.
I was idly thinking 'If I could have any one item to take home.....' when my eye fell upon the bowl on the left with a subtle embossed design inside the bowl which I would have been happy to have. Then as I read the label I simply had to laugh out loud. Of course it had to be by Bernard Leach one of Britain's most emminent potters who established his pottery studio in St Ives where I spent my early years. My mother worked at his pottery for a while before setting up her gallery in St Ives and working as an artist in her own right.

No comments: