Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 7 January 2023

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall.

It was still dark when I got up this morning. By the time I'd fed the cat, prepared breakfast, made tea and done some Duo Lingo there was enough light to see the full moon shining above a very high tide.
Even did some knitting as I watched a welcome patch of blue sky.
The blue skies lasted for most of the morning but then the heavy showers returned, and brought along rainbows as well.
Today we tackled the job of getting the big tailor's mirror up on the bedroom wall. That did not go too well, mainly in terms of us working together. There were a number of disagreements regarding the type of fixings to be used and how to support the mirror from underneath. It's a very heavy mirror and was going onto a plasterboard wall with nothing behind it. This is the fourth home we've put the mirror up in and it never gets easier while we become weaker and more crochety. We did come up with a good solution for lifting the mirror up into place which was to rock it from side to side sliding in the wooden blocks until it was at the right height. The blocks were the ends of the rafters from when the builders replaced the garage roof and they've come in handy on a number of occasions. The plan was to rest the mirror on a batten fixed above the skirting board. Unfortunately the very first builder we had used fancy chamfered skirting boards rather than the plain square topped ones I preferred so the batten only sits on about 0.5cm of wood. Then when we put the mirror against the wall only a narrow strip of the mirror frame sat on the batten due to a panel at the back of the mirror. We tried to remedy this by adding an extra piece of wood to the skirting board but something is out of line vertically and the wood leans outwards at the bottom. Who knew getting a mirror up would be so complicated? At that point we decided that we could put up with the messy wood and I made the mistake of saying that at least we wouldn't have to ever be moving the mirror again when ............. looking in the mirror we saw, or rather didn't see the tops of our heads. That mirror needs to be six inches higher. But any adjustments will have to wait for another day. 
Before battling with Pete and the mirror I cleaned everything on the wooden cupboard by the dining table and also cleaned and polished the outside of the cupboard. Once the mirror was done I walked down to the shop to get some croissants. We forgot about adding them to the shopping list yesterday so despite all that time spent shopping we didn't have any for our Sunday breakfast. One the way to the shop I stopped and chatted to a young mum who was sitting on a wall with her baby asleep in a pram/buggy. I'm not really a 'baby' person but I recall my mother saying that she did the same with me when we lived in St Ives. 
My last job when I got home was to check the filter on the washing machine. My over sensitive nose is picking up a slight musty smell in the utility room which is probably just the drains but I wanted to rule out the washing machine. There was the usual slight water spill when I unscrewed the filter cover but no signs of any problem there. I recently ran some washing soda through on a hot wash so the internal pipework should be clean.  After all that I collapsed in the sitting room with coffee, chocolate and my regular painkillers and was rewarded with a spell of golden light and a bright rainbow.
I couldn't decide which photo is better, possibly the one below, so I'm posting both.

 

No comments: