Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 18 January 2023

More Snow.

More snow fell in the night and this morning I could see snow on many of the inland hills. My camera didn't like the low light levels and wouldn't focus when I tried to zoom in on the hills. There was a fair amount of snow on the hills behind us too. The icy wind blew hard all day, in the morning we had to push hard against the wind to close the door. Peter went out and checked the windspeed with his anemometer which gave a reading of 35mph.
I seem to have been busy all day. In the morning I had to wait for a phone call from the surgery and while I did so I finished cleaning the top cuboards and baked a bara brith. I'm still tweeking the recipe (from the BBC good food pages) and reduced the amount of sugar even further. The mix was still quite stiff so I added a second egg and the bara brith came out fine. Originally bara brith (speckled bread) would have been made with the last bit of bread dough of the day to which was added sugar and dried fruit that had been soaked in black tea. Nowadays it's made with egg and self-raising flour and every family has or at least had its own recipe.
Then I took everything off the kitchen window sill to clean. It was done not that long ago so I was quite disappointed to see not only dust but some signs of mould. They didn't finish installing the window properly so until we find somebody to finish cementing the outside render there's going to be be cold air trying to get in under the window.
Later I wrapped up and had a short walk on the beach. I had intended to go to the pharmacy to pick up some prescription eye drops until I remembered they close on Wednesday afternoons but I still needed to get a few things from the shop.
I just had time to do some Duo Lingo and then my homework which I sent to our tutor before going out again to sing. We were all wrapped up well against the cold as we sing in a cold village hall with minimal heating. 
A rainbow appeared later in the afternoon.
 

No comments: