Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 18 April 2023

An Early Start.

We've had a bright and windy day here at the coast and by the afternoon it was warm enough to work outside without either coat or fleece. Up in the hills the clouds were down low and there was a bitterly cold wind. 
Yesterday Peter said that if it was dry today we could drive up into the hills to collect some stones for the garden. He wanted to leave around 8.00 to avoid meeting other cars on the narrow mountain road. I set my alarm for 7.30 but woke at 5.30 and got up straight away. I prepared the breakfast, hung things out on the line, did my Duo Lingo and made some coffee to take along. 
We left just after 8.00 and once we were up in the hills the road was empty. Empty of cars that is but on the high sections there were plenty of sheep on the road. I had to open the window, letting in the cold cloud, and do my best sheep moving whoops to get them to shift but not too quickly as it's lambing time.
After turning off the good road we had a short section of potholed road to carefully drive over before we got to the site of the disused quarries now favoured by trail bikers. There were plenty of rocks to chose from and we soon had a good selection. I wouldn't take rocks from a pristine wilderness but these were quarry waste and the forestry workers are constantly bulldozing new roads up to the plantations
It was so cold that we drove back to the road and sat in the car to have a quick cup of coffee while looking at Nant Y Moch in the distance. (A romantic looking name until you translate it and find it means the stream of the pigs.)


Below is the section of the road that Peter doesn't like as it's unfenced with a long steep drop. Not much fun if you have to reverse round the tight bends for another vehicle. I assured him that my friends had said you hardly ever see anyone on this road. But .....
Peter had just pulled into this passing space so that I could attempt to get some photos despite the poor visibility when all of a sudden along came a 4x4. It can just be seen in the photo below. How lucky was that?
We were back home for breakfast by 10.00 and I now have enough stones to complete the next raised bed ready to plant up everything I've been propagating in the back garden.
With the weather bright and sunny at home of course I spent most of the day working in the front garden where I where I marked out the circle for the wildflower meadow, weeded and raked a couple of rough corners and replanted some escallonia.
Late last night I cleared nearly everything from the hall. Today I had the idea of keeping the sewing machine in the coat cupboard but sadly it is just 1cm too wide and I can't shut the sliding door.
Off now to Pilates.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

You could have all the rocks you could possibly use if you lived near by. We have nothing but rocks. :)