Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 14 April 2023

Bookcase Finished.

The weather in the morning was quite boring, flat grey seas and frequent showers. Later on there was a hint of blue and then all of a sudden the clouds moved inland and although it was chilly it was a lovely afternoon.
Peter went off to the dump in the morning despite the rain as everywhere is more crowded on the weekend whch he really doesn't like. I carried on with the shelves, painting the brackets bright white and a final coat of paint over the wood. Close up you can see that it hasn't been done by professionals but it'll do for us. Everytime I look at it the word 'civilised' comes into my mind. Though it's not going to stay minimalistic for long (which I would love) once I start adding 'treasures' around the books. Incidentally although the shelves look as if they are leaning forward at the end everything was double checked with the spirit level and it's the wall that's out of true. There may have been a doorway there when the house was first built. I have to wait until tomorrow before putting the books on the shelves as the paint on the metal brackets takes longer to dry.
While Peter was out I made a batch of chocolate and peanut cookies and then the sun tempted me outside. First to work and later just to sit with a cup of coffee.
For work I made a start on cutting back the variegated shrub in the middle of the garden. It's a good doer in these conditions so once the demolition of the wall is under way I may cut it back really hard and try digging it up. Originally it was growing in a pot but the roots must now be under the wall or the gravel. What I would really like is to have it down by the hedge for extra shelter but it's probably way too big to move. For good measure I put a load of cuttings straight into the soil in the hope that some might grow.




 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh the bookcase turned out great after all your work. I like it in white.