Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 29 January 2009

Baby Sheepdogs.

It turned very cold this afternoon and despite Metcheck assuring me it won't freeze tonight I decided to play safe and park up at the top of the hill. It was dark before I got home but at least it is now light when I get in the car at 7.30 in the morning. I like to feed the hens before I eat my breakfast and browse a few blogs, so I'm still stumbling up to the hen run in the pitch dark. The weather forecast for Sunday night is for temperatures to plummet so I've stocked up on de-icer spray and will definitely be leaving the car up top then.
School was fairly relaxed today though I still haven't managed to organise our visit to the police station . Children are funny, this afternoon I was outside with them for their play time and there was a line of 12 little girls all squeaking / shrieking loudly while being pursued around the playground by a group of boys. This went on for quite a time so I did ask what they were doing and was told they were 'baby sheepdogs', I'm not sure what the boys were and I don't think they knew either but it was good to see so much activity. We have a short pe session every day and for a warm up I have the children jogging around while I finish rolling up trousers that are too long, ( for most sessions they just take off shoes, socks and jumpers), and if they get tired they can go for a brisk walk instead. After a few minutes there is a lot of puffing and panting but their fitness is gradually improving. It is sad that these days children have fewer opportunities to run around and spend longer at sedentary activities instead. I was surprised a couple of years ago when I did a survey with a class of 6 year olds and found out that most of them had a tv/dvd player in their rooms and that a fair number ate their evening meal without their parents but in front of the tv. This was in a school in a more deprived area than where I am now.

3 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Oops, slapped wrists for me - Charli has a TV in her room! However, it isn't able to pick up general TV - it's just connected to an old video player to watch educational films - she's loving 'Blue Planet' at the moment! So... if she was asked that question, the answer would be 'Yes' - but all is not as it seems.

She hardly ever watches TV - never general stuff with all the adverts - just some very cool educational and fun stuff.

Ruta M. said...

I loved Blue Planet, I've got the Deep Blue dvd, mostly music and all the best bits of Blue Planet. I used it a lot with my 7 year olds last year for our arts fortnight. Most popular were the leaping dolhpins and the mud ball crabs, but I did fast forward some of the more gruesome bits.

Domestic Executive said...

I love the notion of these kids running around and having fun - baby sheepdogs - where do they think of these things?