Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 26 January 2009

Fun On The Ice.

Having come to the end of the Strictly Come Dancing series, we have switched channels and now are watching Dancing on Ice.We like the fact that the competitors do have to work to improve their dancing/skating skills. Last night we were in absolute tears of laughter at Todd Carty's attempts to skate, and then the judges' comments set us off again. All the other competitors are managing lifts and fancy moves but poor Todd hasn't quite mastered the basics.



And not surprisingly the public voted Todd back on for another week.

As a youngster I would sometimes go and skate at the Richmond rink (where I chipped my wrist bone), and at school I even managed to persuade several friends to sign up for ice skating lessons so that a teacher had to drive us down to the rink at Streatham. I'm a very unco-ordinated person but I figured it would be more fun than the 'sports' on offer at school. The nearest rink here is down in Plymouth, 2 hours away. I wouldn't mind having another go though knowing me I'd fall and break something. At Christmas several places around here offer 'ice skating' but when I took all the youngsters along we were most disappointed to see it was on plastic slabs not ice and we didn't bother.

2 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

The public strikes again! I loved to skate and my best friend when I was in my early 20s and worked in a large leisure centre was a skating teachers so she bravely taught me some of the basics. I was never very good as I feared falling and hurting myself too much. It's a great thing to learn a new skill although I think my skating days are well over so I have some sympathy with Todd.

www.domestic-executive.com

happyone said...

When I was a kid I lived very near to a lake that would freeze over every winter and used to go ice skating all the time. I loved it. Haven't ice skated in years though!!!