Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 7 January 2009

My Cold Piano.

There may not be any photos on today's post due to 'error' with Blogger. I've made about 6 attempts to upload a night time shot of Barnstaple  taken on my way home but nothing doing , so far. It's been very cold again, -12C on Exmoor last night according to the TV, but dry, which makes all the difference. The temperature shot up for a brief spell this afternoon but we are still due for a couple more days of cold weather. Well, it is the winter. The house is fairly cold though we have left the central heating on all day. The sitting room radiators are always cold which is not usually a problem as the wood burner throws out a lot of heat when we need it. I have discovered a benfit of this cold weather, to balance up the semi-frozen water pipes and barely functioning Rayburn, and that is the effect on my piano. My piano is nothing special, just an ordinary German upright that stays in tune in between the annual visits of the piano tuner. And I am certainly not a skilled pianist, just an enthusiastic one. But ever since childhood visits to family friends in Chichester who had 3 baby grand pianos, at least one of which was a Bluthner, in their medieval town house, I have longed to have a piano with those marvelously mellow tones. The cold has given my piano at least the illusion of those tones and I've really enjoyed being able to get some really gentle but rich left hand harmonies, that is until my fingers got a little frozen. Romas has just pointed out that there is a lot of extra 'sustain' going on even without the pedal. Now that my fingers have warmed u, tapping away at the keyboard, I may just have to have a little more time at my 'cold' piano.

2 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Oh Ruta, I can almost picture you, no photographs needed! What a lovely post, with so much feeling and emotion. Music has such power to transport the spirit to other places and times. Enjoy the new tons and perhaps invest in a pair of fingerless gloves too! Sarah x

Domestic Executive said...

You may be starting a new form of keeping warm - keep playing!