Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 31 January 2009

Temperatures Set To Plummet.


This was the view as I walked to my car after school yesterday and it reflects the way I was feeling, dark and out of focus. A couple of minor things had gone wrong in the day and because I was so tired they kept playing on my mind. And instead of getting straight down to paperwork at lunchtime, I'd had to keep an eye on a child who had been sick, (and then perked right up), so I felt I'd started my afternoon all behind. Later then I found it hard to change the role play area in the classroom while the cleaner was bustling about ( no fault of hers) and I eventually left school feeling absolutely exhausted. Imagine my joy on arriving home to find I would have to go back into town to collect Linas from the train station at 7.00. This was only surpassed by the feelings of greater happiness when due to train delays I would have to pick him up after 10.00. I didn't have the energy to blog or do my sit-ups.

Today, despite the house being invaded by gun-toting airsoft dudes, (Linas, Romas and 2 friends), I'm in a much better mood. It's been cloudy all day long but not too cold, so after washing my car I put in several hours of weeding. There is just so much work to do in the garden. I never know whether to start where the weeds are the tallest and choking the plants or to start where the weeds are tiny, clear a bigger area and know that each tiny weed had the capability to grow into a mighty nuisance. The fact is it all has to be done and today was a good start. Here are my hens waiting at the gate for another bucket of yummy weeds to be added to the compost heap. The marans and the black rock almost look ready to start laying again. I don't expect much from the warrens ( the red hens), they are elderly ex-battery hens that are the last of a group of 14 I got about 5 years ago. Battery farming is a disgusting system and I'm glad that I was able to re-home a few hens. After living a year on the space of an A4 piece of paper the hens are no longer economic and generally end up in pet food or dumped.




The daffodils on the bank behind the house are still looking very cheerful. The other clumps in the garden are only about 4" high.








These 2 rockery sedums are providing tiny splashes of colour among the dusty green and greys of winter.
Talking of winter , temperatures are set to plummet from tomorrow, here are the temperatures according to Metcheck.
Sat 9.00 4C feels like -1C
Sun 6.00 am -1C feels like -6C
Sun 3.00 2C feels like -7C
Sun 6.00 -3C feels like -10C
Mon6.00am -1Cfeels like -7C
For here that is really, really cold. Luckily it is supposed to be dry tomorrow which makes life easier and I'll definitely be taking the car up top tomorrow afternoon so that I can get into work even if the predicted snow has come.

2 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

At last I can see the hens. They are wonderful and so much better that they were rescued from a fate worse than death. I love the daffodils too, so spring like. I hate to say this but we're in temperatures in the 30s and everything is looking brown, brown, brown. I'm dragging myself around with buckets to water the 100 trees which of course are not reachable with my hose. Sheer joy!

happyone said...

Loved seeing the hens!! Looks like spring by you already with the daffodils! We have had lots of ice and much colder then normal temperatures here in MD.