Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 20 February 2009

A Day At Home.

Woke up to a misty morning.
The sun came out later and it was quite mild. After spending the morning searching fruitlessly for 1 file which contains the last set of certificates I need I gave myself some time off to walk up the hill to collect the recycling box. It was so lovely to be out with the sun and a breeze on my arms that I continued down the road for a walk. There are still 3 piles of snow left and yes I took photos but I shan't be inflicting them on my blog readers.

Already the spring flowers are pushing their way up through the earth. This will be a stately clump of foxgloves growing under the hedge.


The wild garlic, or Ramsons, will soon be covering large stretches along the roads. It spreads quickly with its white flowers and garlic smell .



This is a wild arum, Lords-and-Ladies.




I walked as far as Ashelford Farm. When we moved here 15 years ago this was a derelict farm that had been empty for 20 years. It has since been renovated and extended and is not a working farm but a country home with fields. That is the way of many older properties here.



Speaking of old things- I was sorting through a chest of my mother's records and found this 1898 sixpenny edition of Alice Through The Looking Glass. It's in poor condition and I'd checked some years ago and found that it isn't especially valuable but I like the adverts that are printed in the front and back.
















The day finished with a flaming red sky and now I have to drive into Barnstaple to collect Romas from the bus station.









4 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Love the signs of Spring and the glimmer of sunshine down the country lanes. Your photos are always so beautiful and the surrounding countryside is a joy to see in the changing seasons.

What a lovely find that old book was! Nice to find a little treasure whilst searching for all those records for your TeachNZ application. Good luck with that. Sounds like you have a ton of paper work on your hands at the moment, what with your application and all the school reports (I remember my Mum being up to her eyes in them for several night's!).

Enjoy the Spring flowers - beautiful to see them emerging.

Sarah
x

Domestic Executive said...

Signs of spring are so much fun. Do you forage the wild garlic for eating or just enjoy looking at it?

Ruta M. said...

I have thought about collecting the wild garlic but we always have garlic at home so I've never got round to it. We use a lot of chives from the garden and last year I got some garlic chives but the cats kept eating them so there wasn't enough to use.

Marrisa said...

I'm finally making my way through your wonderful posts! Good to hear you are sorting out your paperwork for NZ, I am so excited for you. Of course remember we have Dawes Migration Services if you need any help with anything :-)
Of course I am here as a friend too should you not want to head down the official route. Dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions - you know how to contact me xx