Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 5 February 2009

Keep On Walking.

Once more the fields were covered with another inch of snow that fell in the night and the slush on the roads had frozen making the lanes a perfect ice rink for cars. We had been expecting worse conditions but I still had to trek the 3 miles to the main road. It was weird walking along the road and seeing my footprints made 24 hours ago. I followed a long line of fox prints down the road , yesterday there had been deer slots going across the road and over the hedge. Once I got to Okewill which is lower and south facing, the tyre tracks had melted into slush and at the same time snow started to fall. The peace of the snowbound countryside was somewhat disturbed by my comments at the change of weather. Once on the main road I got a lift from a teacher at the secondary school in Pilton. It's not the first time she's given me a lift into work. By the afternoon things had cleared up enough for Peter to come into town (for a doctor's appointment for his hand), and drive me home. It was very strange going home, in Barnstaple there was not a single sign of snow, for the first few miles up the hills to Shirwell the fields were all green and the road was clear. Up at Shirwell there were some snowy patches in the fields and on the verges which gradually increased along the back roads. Passing the Lewis' farm there was slush on the road but when we got to the top of our hill which is the first time the road is north facing, the fields were completely white with not a blade of grass showing. We've still parked up at the top of the hill and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to drive in though if the rain that's falling has turned to ice I'll have to walk again. Again I didn't stop to take my camera out of my backpack this morning so instead here are some pretty 'snow' pictures from Tuesday.




































2 comments:

happyone said...

I am so ready for spring.
Those sheep look toasty warm in all their wool coats. :-)

Domestic Executive said...

Oh my gosh, these are wonderful. They really made me smile. The one with sheep really makes you realise how deep it was.