Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 19 February 2009

Paperwork.

Today the sun was shinning but I gamely spent the morning at my lap top organising paperwork for the first stages of registering as a teacher with the NZ authorities. I have to detail the hours worked in every teaching job I've ever had, and get official conformation as well as supplying other details from the dim and distant past such as the course content of my degree. Luckily I've kept most of that information, hopefully it's enough.
By the afternoon I managed to get out into the garden for some more leaf clearing. It sounds a bit sad to be spending so much effort clearing leaves but the scree garden loses its beauty if the stones are covered by dry or rotting leaves and they would only encourage the growth of weeds which otherwise are almost nonexistent. The sun and warmth are really encouraging the birds to sing from every tree and bush. There was one particular bird behind me that had an amazing repertoire, whistling, warbling, chirping and twittering. I spotted it up in a tree but it was too far away to identify by sight and I'm not that good with bird song, just the basics.

It sang heartily all the time I as out there. I could see it was too big to be a 'little brown bird' so not a warbler. I took plenty of photos and one of my blurry close ups confirmed that it was a song thrush. I had thought it might be a starling as they're very good mimics, but it wasn't.






I spent some time creeping up on the toads again and despite not being that sharp I quite like this picture with all its reflections.




Toads being toads.





No toads but reflections and the movement of the water make an interesting picture.
Peter's been at home today. he saw the doctor yesterday as his hand is still swollen and very painful. He was told not to drive, rest his hand and given stronger painkillers, a type which don't upset the digestion. Apparently these are standard on the continent but here (because of the cost ) the NHS restricts their use. He's already noticing some improvement and has been getting on with his OU work.






3 comments:

Julie said...

what does the NZ stand for? New Zealand? Are you moving there?

And thanks for the comment about the snow...we havne't had nearly as much as you... but for a day and a half it was fun!

Domestic Executive said...

Oh wow, you're really making your way. Starting the paperwork really brings it home. Good luck with all that.

I'm suposed to be coaching a head teacher here and I was going to ask her about getting jobs etc for you. She's really busy at the moment as the schools have recently returned here but I haven't forgotten and I'll find out as much as I can.

I guess the biggest choice you're going to need to make is where to come too. There is so much choice!

Oh, I loved those toad pictures.

Ruta M. said...

We're doing our best to emmigrate to New Zealand but the authorities make the whole process very complicated and will take at least 6 months even if everything goes well. Now that our boys are grown up and leading their own lives we need to think about moving from this big farmhouse and life in NZ seems to offer lots of exciting prospects. Romas wants to come to NZ when he finishes university and Linas is also considering it.Just Vytas would be left in the UK as we have no ther family here.