Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 24 February 2009

Pancake Day.

We had a great time with all our Pancake Day activities in my class today. I even managed to find a simple activity on the Internet where they had to flip pancakes and then move the frying pan to catch the pancakes. I had wondered how well my class would behave with just one bowl being passed round the circle of 30 while they sieved , whisked and stirred but they were fairly well behaved. After a PE lesson where we substituted racquets and bean bags for frying pans and pancakes they were able to watch some of our own pancakes being skillfully flipped before eating the results with sugar and lemon. One little lad who is scarcely higher than my knee looked at the larger piece of pancake I had been given and told me that the smallest (ie himself) should have had the biggest piece ......... so that he could grow more!


I left school fairly early as I have a bit more to do on my e-profiles and was astounded to come across a traffic jam at Okewill where normally the roads is almost empty. There were 7 cars, a van, a tractor pulling a large trailer and a laden cattle lorry. Apart from the narrowness of the lane there was one steeper bit that was very slippery with mud , that the larger vehicles had difficulty going up and everything had to reverse back so the cattle lorry could get a good run up.

4 comments:

happyone said...

I love pancakes and make them every weekend. I didn't know there was such a thing as pancake day.
That's funny to think of 7 cars being a traffic jam!! :-)

Ruta M. said...

Pancake Day dates back 500 yrs when households would prepare for the 40 days of Lent by using up the last eggs, butter etc making them into pancakes.Pancake tossing races are still quite traditional and many people will make and eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday only and not on any other day.Pancakes are usually the french type, eggs,flour and milk served with lemon and honey or sometimes jam or chocolate spread.

happyone said...

Thanks for the pancake into. :-)

Domestic Executive said...

That young man will go far!