Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 3 February 2009

Fun In The Snow.

Woke up this morning to find more snow had fallen in the night. My work colleague phoned to say it was so icy in Berrynarbour that not even their 4x4 would be able to get out and there was a blizzard blowing. she'd already phoned our Headteacher and warned her that we wouldn't be able to get in today. When I spoke to the boss she told me that the local radio had already said that the school was closed, (mistakenly, at that point only the junior school and the secondary school were closed but that's local radio for you). She was planning to go down to the school and any children that turned up would have fun in the snow with whichever staff turned up.
We started to get more heavy snow and Peter phoned work to say that he was stuck at home. Only 1 person in his department managed to get in today.
When the snow stopped Romas and I walked up the hill to the cars and to check on the condition of the road to Shirwell. There were signs that a tractor or something had gone along the road but it certainly wasn't safe for cars.

Here are the cars in their 'bad weather ' parking spot. Our neighbour had also parked his Discovery up here.


Mid-morning the sun came out and the boys and I went up on Ron Fry's field behind the house to snow board ,(the Boys), and toboggan, (me). We had an exhilarating time enjoying the sunshine and the snow which was about 6" deep.



Some of our neighbours' horses were out in the fields and Sarah came up with her little boy Jack. They climbed over the rickety gate to join us on our ski-slope and Jack had fun on my plastic toboggan. (I'd bought it at a car boot sale 2 years ago thinking that we might have proper snow one day.)











The boys preferred their snow boards until they had technical problems, and Romas enterprisingly tried a body board and even one of the spare surfboards with its fins taken off.







You can see how much deeper the snow was today.








The bog garden looked pristine and sparkly with the sun shining on it.









There was a reasonably pretty sunset so I had to climb up Ron's field to include the snow in the photo. The forecast for tomorrow is clear until the evening but I don't think the back roads will be safe. I telephoned the Lewis' and they said that their hill was icy but the main road was ok. I think that I'll leave early tomorrow and walk down to the main road and then hitch. Some from school will give me a lift back to the turnoff (I wouldn't ask anyone to drive on the icy back roads.) This isn't me being extra keen to get to work but I can see from the forecast that the bad weather is due to come back tomorrow night and last for the whole of Thursday so I doubt if I'll be able to get into work then and there are only so many days you can not turn up for work. Unless of course school is closed tomorrow.

3 comments:

happyone said...

It all looks so pretty.

Marrisa said...

Look at your photos! They look like the ones we have had from parents just this morning!

I must say you dont miss the snow till you see the lovely photos. I can imagine the soft gentle air too and how still it was.

Just beautiful! I hope all is well Ruta. Sorry for my slack comments lately. Its 12.06am her and I am just now getting sat down to read blogs. I am always reading so keep up the amazing work xxxxx

Domestic Executive said...

Oh wow, these shots are wonderful and I can just imagine all the fun you were having. Sometimes it's good to let the child in you come out. Just glad you didn't fall off and do anything worse to your knee!