Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 4 February 2009

Trudging Through The Snow.

There was still plenty of snow this morning and as my colleague wasn't able to collect me I decided to make my own way into work. There was always the possibility that the road would be passable when I got up the hill but it most definitely was not.There were tractor tyre marks in the snow but the few car tracks I saw were punctuated by skids so I was happy with my decision not to drive. It's only 3 miles to the main road and as I was togged up in fluorescent yellow coat, wellies and sheepskin gloves I marched on my way. It seemed silly to not go in to work just for the sake of a walk through the snow. It took me an hour and was quite enjoyable though I didn't stop to take photos as I was intent on reaching the main road. The first car along was driven by a young man who waved at me while driving past. I was not amused! The next car did stop and 2 men and a dog gave me a lift into town. Hitch hiking is hardly ever done in the UK. People are worried about getting attacked but I'm too old to worry about that and most of the people are locals anyway and generally happy to help. My efforts were appreciated at school and make it easier if I really am snow stormed in. The forecast for tonight and tomorrow looks grim but there has only been a little snow so far this evening.
At school I was pleasantly surprised by Peter coming to collect me, he had driven, (carefully) into town to take Linas to the train station so he could get back to Plymouth. I don't know what's happened to Linas, he tidied his room and the bathroom!
By the time we drove home even the back roads were turning to slush and town and the main roads were clear.


You can see how much the snow has already melted.

2 comments:

Julie said...

thank you so much for your thoughts about blogging. I appreciate it so much. I have loved looking at all your snow pics...you take great photos!

Domestic Executive said...

I am so amazed with your dedication . There are so few people who would have walked in the snow to get to work. Glad you got a lift eventually!