Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 15 April 2009

A Eventful Day.

I sat down at the pc this morning with my morning coffee all set to catch up on e-mails etc when there was an loud bang on the window. I looked up to see a pair of willow warblers falling to the ground in a flurry of flailing wings. I rushed outside, not even stopping to pick up my camera, and found 2 prone bodies lying comatose on the concrete. I picked them up and as they were still breathing I put them in a shoe box with some newspaper.
They didn't look good but at least they could die in peace and not be eaten by a cat or jackdaw.
After half an hour I took the box outside but even though they were looking much better, ie sitting up instead of lying on their sides, they weren't ready to fly away. I closed up the box and left them in a quiet room for a few more hours.

This time when we opened the box one flew away immediately and perched in a rose bush. The other one stayed in the box for a while ............


............ then fluttered up and landed on Romas' shoulder.



It stayed there for quite a while giving plenty of opportunity for photos and only flew off when I tried to get it to sit on my finger. It flew into the same rose bush as the first bird, stayed there for a few moments and then flew away.




In the meantime the first bird stayed in the rosebush still panting and obviously panicking so after making sure that the cats couldn't get out of the house I kept an eye on it with the binoculars till eventually it calmed down, hopped about in the bush for a while and then flew away. An unexpected but happy ending to this little tale.
It's been funny weather today, cold at first and grey but bright with rain threatening. There was a severe weather warning at lunchtime for heavy rain and thunderstorms but the worst must have passed us by as we only had one round of thunder and a short spell of heavy rain. I spent the morning weeding and in the afternoon I went to the doctor for some steroid injections in my hips for my bursitis. Unlike my usual doctor today's doctor wouldn't do both hips at the same time but put a series of injections in the first one. Luckily having the injections in the hips hardly hurts at all unlike having them in other joints which I've been told are very painful.

3 comments:

Julie said...

ahh, that is a great ending to a horrible beginning! They are so cute too!Love the pic on Romas shoulder.

happyone said...

So good to hear that your bird story had a happy ending. Great that you were able to get such good and close up pictures of the birds.

I had that happen too but my story had a sad ending. A young cardinal fly into our glass door and it broke its neck.

Catching the Magic said...

Phew, a happy ending! What an adventure indeed and I read it out to the girls, as they marveled at the photos.