Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 24 January 2010

Back To The Beach.

It was grey at home today but once we had driven down to Woolacombe the sun was shining. From the hills overlooking the beach what seemed like a flock of exotic birds were on closer inspection people enjoying the sport of parascending. If there had been a microlight amongst that lot the chances were that it would have been a local man who flies with one of his golden eagles free-flying alongside him. No sign of him today. Peter and I have been taking every opportunity to get out for walk as once the Open University term starts Peter will be studying and having deadlines for assignments and that will take priority.

We parked above Barricane Beach. We can't wait until that tiny concrete hut opens again as the beach cafe and serves tea in china mugs, (I do dislike paper or plastic cups). In the distance is Morte Point where we walked yesterday.


We went down onto Barricane Beach and picked up a few more shells. The tide was about half-way in so we didn't get a chance to explore the rock pools.

Then we walked over to Combesgate. Right next door to Barricane but very different with pebbles instead of shells and a lot of ground water flowing down off the hills.
Back home I was out in the garden once more. As there is so much to do it is a matter of prioritising. I'd like to get the heather banks sorted as soon as possible. Most of the heathers are winter flowering ones which means that soon the banks will be a mass of colour and it would be a shame to have weeds poking through. But first I have to get the pond tidied up. I like my garden to be fairly natural but although a pond full of rotten last year's foliage might be an ideal habitat for the toads which have already started croaking I do like there to be some element of design and space for my garden plants to show off their flowers. So I had the nasty job of fishing out and cutting the slimy last year's flag iris leaves. And got 1/3 of the path weeded. Hopefully the pond will be done by the end of the week and I can leave it for the wild-life.
Finally, if you're interested in self-sufficiency check out http://www.justofftheonelaneroad.blogspot.com/ . Elora lives on a small farm in West Virginia and grows all her own food as well as making dairy products and has just started blogging.

No comments: