Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 27 January 2010

Muddy Roads.


It has been another cold and grey day. There was no rain last night and subsequently no ice on the road, thank goodness, but at the moment the roads are in a dreadful state. Why ? Because the farmers have all been out at their favourite pastime - muck spreading. I can put up with the smell, after it is the country, but the problem is all the mud that the tractors are leaving on the roads. It's not just a little mud but great big slicks of mud. On the way home each time I applied the brakes (cautiously), I slid all over the road. That was after I'd pulled over with 2 wheels in the soft muddy verge to let the milk tanker past and then had my spinning tyre flick lumps of mud all across the windscreen. That was more funny than anything but I didn't like skidding through the mud. The rest of the day has been OK. I had the youngest class in the morning which is always fun. I do feel a little like Joyce Grenfell with my running commentary to the children which has a slightly manic feel (in a calm and controlled manner) , as I try to keep the proportion of positive comments high. It does work but anyone who wasn't familiar with this style of behaviour management would think I was absolutely bonkers. These little ones are only 4 years old and by next week they will be at school full-time and have to learn to interact /share/turn take & listen with 29 other children. Most of them have been to pre-school but it is a big step for them. I had to drive home at lunch time to collect Linas who had an appointment in town. But then I had to return to my class and see them home as this week they are staying for lunchtime and going home at the beginning of the afternoon session. I had an hour in town while waiting for Linas and wandered round looking at the last of the sales and yes, buying a few items. Some I needed and some not really (reading certain blogs and trying to sort what we have accumulated at home has made me think about buying 'stuff',) . However I didn't spend much, some earrings and a ring had been reduced to 25% of the original price and then made BOGOF so I paid just £2 for them. A bright pink shiny shoulder bag (I'm a sucker for shiny/sparkly/fluffy things,) had caught my eye some time ago in Primark but I wasn't going to pay £6 for an impulse buy. Today they were reduced to £2 so I treated myself to one. "Yuk" was Linas' comment. I also picked up a pack of brightly coloured socks in Primark. Being men's socks they're bigger and won't get holes at the heels which is what happens to my fun socks that I wear to work with my crocs. Not in sale but at £4 for 5 pairs good value. I did look at the Monsoon 70% off sale but resisted buying a black furry body warmer as even I might have to admit that I already have a good selection of body warmers. That's enough of my shopping tales. It'll be gardening and nature tomorrow I expect.

3 comments:

Elora said...

What a MESS that must be! I am grateful that farmers around here do not "muck" up our roads to that extent! What a great picture of the raptor. Is it a merlin or a kestrel? Can't tell. Sounds like you had a GREAT shopping day!! No guilt allowed. Period. Anyone with as much shopping savvy as you've got, girl, deserves to exercise it!
Elora

Ruta M. said...

Hi,
The grumpy bird is a buzzard which is quite common here. Almost as big as a golden eagle (I've stroked one of those). Long term readers will recall my many tries at photographing these birds. They sit on top of telegraph poles or fences and I may see 2 or 3 in just a few miles along our country road. But they are very difficult to photograph. They stay still when you drive past but if I stop and raise the camera, even through the windscreen, they're off. I've tried long distance, holding the camera in my hand as I drive past and creeping around corners all to little avail.Johnny Kingdom, a local wildlife photographer agreed that they are very difficult subjects.

Suzanne said...

I love the thought of a bright, shiny pink bag in the middle of winter. Those slick, muddy roads are a horror. I had a particularly frightening incident on one of them myself, so I can relate.

It sounds like you've been very busyn, dashing to and fro.

- Suzanne