Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 January 2010

A Busy Day.

I've had quite a busy day today. I had to take Linas into town this morning and while he was at the Job Centre I had a wander around the shops. I finally found a large, but not enormous, stainless steel saucepan in the sales that I liked. When we sold those old chairs and other bits to the antiques shop last year I decided to use the money to buy some new s/steel saucepans. Apart from 2 small ones that I got in a car boot sale this is the first purchase from that money. On the way home we swung by the college and picked up 4 bags of wood shavings for the hens. It's great, they have the shavings all bagged up sitting outside and you just help yourself. I used to bed my friend's horse on wood shavings and many a happy hour was spent bagging up shavings in a joiner's workshop. Back home, despite the cloudy weather, Peter and I decided to have a walk down at Barricane Beach. The clouds were down really low over the hills but occasionally the sun did break through.
The tide was very low and it was possible to walk round from Barricane to Combesgate Beach.

If you would like a home overlooking the beach, the bungalow in the centre of the picture is for sale at £485,000. Hardly any garden but great views.






With the tide being so far out we were able to explore some of the lower parts of the beach.

The rocks themselves were full of life, these eggs belong to the dog whelk in the middle of the crevasse. Apart seaweeds and the the purple topshells there are barnacles and sponges here. Back home I got out into the garden and made a new compost bin in the hens' run as the one I had made 15 years ago has completely rotted away. This new one is also a bit of a Heath Robinson affair, just some pallets wired together but should do the job. Now Linas can clean out the hen house straight into the compost bin and the hens can have a lovely bed of clean wood shavings. And where did I get the pallets from? Let's just say that we no longer have a skateboard ramp, shame about that.

1 comment:

happyone said...

As usual I liked all your photos.
Love the hill covered with houses. What a view they must have!
The last picture most interesting!!