Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 20 January 2010

A Satisfying Day.

The sun has been making a brave attempt to shine today, thank goodness. I've spent the morning working out in the garden. I start every year thinking that it will be the year I do actually manage to get the whole garden weeded before the spring flush of growth and flowers appears but somehow it never quite happens. Last year was especially hard as I was teaching full-time which left me with precious few 'leisure' hours. Today I got to grips with the brambles lurking in the hillside section. Horrible plants brambles, with their habit of rooting each time the shoots touch the ground. It's very satisfying when you pull out an extra long root. I also did some general weeding, raked down the 20 molehills that had appeared on a tiny patch of lawn and dug a ditch down the centre of the drive. Hopefully the rain water that comes down from the road will channel into the ditch and stop washing away the bits we need to drive on.
I thought I heard some clucking from the hen run and when Linas went up to clean out the old wood shavings and put down fresh, a 10 min job he bitterly complained about, he found the first egg of the season. My hens are terribly old and more pets than productive units. If I calculated the cost of all the corn they have eaten this winter this egg probably cost at least £10! Tempted as I was to carry on working outside this afternoon I thought it would be better for my back to do some boring housework and then some work on the pc with the last of the afternoon sun shining through the the full length window that looks out onto the garden.

1 comment:

Elora said...

Ruta,
If I had your email I would write you off the comment line, but since you've (unknowingly!) provided so much inspiration for me with your blog i wanted you to have a look at mine. Would you mind terribly to have a look at it? I've had a few complaints 9and compliments) about my black background, but I had wanted a black background long before I saw your blog. Thought it would work to emphasize my photos. Yours look beautiful, I must add.

Here's the URL
www.justofftheonelaneroad.blogspot.com

You can email me if you wish. It's listed in the comment section, I believe. It's been so much fun comparing notes on weather there and here. We were out yesterday pruning plum and apple trees, as you were rambling in the brambles! Thanks for all your lovely posts. I have definitely shared a sense of winter with you!
Thank you!
Elora