Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Finally!

Finally I've reached my goal weight. At 10 1/2 stone (154lbs) I'm a few lbs lighter than I was when I was 16. That was my secret goal and now I do not feel like a fat person any more. I do have a photo inside one of my kitchen cupboard doors, where I have a collage of cards and photos, of me at just over 10 stone but that was about 15 years ago and I'm not aiming so low. Apart from the real kick I get out of wearing smaller clothes I have been thinking of all the health disadvantages of being overweight, from diabetes and cancer to the more immediate effects on the joints. Now when I present yet another health problem to my doctor she can't intimate that my weight is a factor. Actually she doesn't, apart from the time when they insisted they weighed you whatever your problem was. I think that was a government campaign which probably backfired as I'm sure I'm not the only one who put off seeing the doctor for that very reason, but you still think that's what they're thinking. Now my big challenge is to maintain a healthy weight so the daily weighing will continue just so I can keep a check on myself.
Nice as it is to go to school once the sun has risen it does mean that the journey home is always in the dark ie no sunset photos. All I had on my camera today was this picture of my Literacy Working Wall. We all have to have one and it shows the stages the children are working through to produce a final piece of written work. It is supposed to help the children but really I think it is just a way to show any visitors (OFSTED ?) what we are doing. I took a picture for my records as I've replaced it with the work for our next piece of writing, instructions on how to make chapatis. I still feel like the day is one mad rush but I have some extra help in the class from a 3rd year teaching student who does some teaching as well. Today I persuaded her to take a dance lesson on Bollywood dancing. She was a bit apprehensive though I kept reassuring that if a clodhopper like me could have a good dance session with the class she would be fine, and she was. It was a good job she was there as one boy had a nose bleed and under normal circumstances the lesson would have had to stop while I looked after him.

2 comments:

Elora said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!, Ruta! I am sharing your jubilation! I've reached my goal weight, too, but am contemplating dropping another five pounds, which would put me at 110 pounds. Of course, I am short
(5 feet, three inches) and, all the joint twinges are gone! Haven't been this light in YEARS! Like you, I am basking in the joy of being able to fit into clothes I haven't worn in 15 years. It's really fun!

Elora

happyone said...

Congratulations!! All your hard work paid off. I've been maintaining my ideal weight for years now.