Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 4 November 2010

Sad News.

I am feeling quite flat this evening having come home to find an email from my cousin telling me that her dad had passed away. Even though this is something that will happen to us all it is always sad to loose a member of your family. I have no family members at all in this country (apart from Peter & the boys) but I have always kept in touch with my Canadian cousins and we still have fond memories of our visit to Canada nearly 30 years ago when we met most of my family members for the first time. Indeed one of the reasons for this blog is to keep far flung members of our family informed about the lives of the British branch.
It seems almost trite to rattle on about my day at work so here is only a brief post.
We went swimming and for once I remembered to take my camera so I can show what a (typically) grey day it has been. This was looking west from the New Bridge towards the sea.
In the other direction can be seen the River Taw and the incredibly ugly council offices building.

Further up the river is the Old Bridge and town behind.
It was an extra late evening at school as we had a meeting for parents to explain/ discuss the way we teach reading. For 120 children (4 classes), 18 parents turned up. There were 4 of us class teachers there as well as the Headteacher and I got home from work at 8.45.

2 comments:

Elora said...

So sorry for your loss, Ruta. You do a wonderful job of keeping your family connected.

The attendance at the evening meeting on how you teach reading there is just as appalling as it is here. When we had Parent Teacher nights, the only parents who showed up were the ones who didn't need to, if you know what I mean. Their kids were the ones doing well in school. The parents of behavior problems, scholastic problems, learning problems...the list goes on....never showed. And it was always a late night for the teachers, who had to show up the following day, because these were never done on a Friday night! I sympathize all around!

Elora

happyone said...

Oh Ruta, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.