Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 11 November 2010

W W Windy.

It was wild , wet , windy and warm this morning. The day continued with more of the same with a strong gale blowing by lunchtime. That was when one child in the playground was hit in the face by a small branch which fell off a tree. On the way home another branch fell in front of the car narrowly missing the bonnet. I actually left work earlier than usual because of the weather conditions. As I sit here at the pc I can hear the wind roaring in the trees outside and rattling our windows. Being Thursday it was time to go swimming. They've started putting in the glass windows/ walls in the new Tescos. I hope they haven't been caught by the wind as that could be rather expensive.
Stopping at the roundabout gave me a good view of the stone installation. I was told another story about our stones - one dark night somebody planted a set of smaller 'baby' stones at the feet of the big stones. That would have been funny to see.

Another view of the New Bridge but this picture also has a story to do with the large white mansion right in the middle up on the hill (click on the picture for a bigger view). Not that long ago, a middle aged local man who ran a small building firm, kids went to our school, wife was part of the PTA in other words an ordinary chap, unexpectedly inherited the mansion from a relative who he knew little or nothing about. This was an uncle who had moved to Australia many years before. That must have been a real surprise.
Not much else to say about my day. I have a 3rd year teaching student working in my class who is supposed to be doing quite a bit of teaching which I have to monitor but that does give me a bit of a break to get on with making assessments and some of the other 101 things that always need doing.

1 comment:

lea said...

I really enjoy your blog, it's the one I check every night. I worked in a school library for 16 yrs. so I understand some of your frustrations. One of our public "art" installations here are 20' red poles, here's a quote-"The project became known as “Windscape,” featuring a sculptural landform of recycled concrete for low retaining walls that wrap around the site, a stormwater infiltration basin, and vertical “wind poles” that provide a multi-functional landscape that is both a vibrant amenity and an innovative green infrastructure." Your rocks are better looking. From Portland,Oregon