Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 29 July 2011

Another Good Day.

Having started the holiday so well I'm going to try and avoid being a grumpy old woman and count my blessings instead. So the 3 things I have most enjoyed doing today are ......

...... having a leisurely (second) breakfast with Vytas and Sally. Our boys all live away from home and we only get to see Vytas 2 or 3 times a year so time spent together is precious.

...... spending the day working outside in the garden and getting another flower bed and paved area clear of weeds.

...... sitting in the garden with a book and a cup of coffee listening to the sounds of nature all around.

Note that none of these activities involved spending money. I was listening to an article on the radio which basically said that everybody will have to manage with less money in the future. So my childhood in a poor family and my later lifestyle choice of staying home with the family and forgoing a second income have prepared me well for the type of future we all face. I feel really sorry for those people whose happiness is dependent on spending money for entertainment or the acquisition of more 'stuff'. There is no doubt that to be really hard up and to have to struggle to pay for housing, food or heating is not a good situation but for many people in the West luxuries have become necessities. We will simply have to learn to become more realistic in our expectations and to appreciate the things we already have around us.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Your thoughts today are greatly appreciated. Less really is more if you look at it with open eyes. I, too, find myself counting my blessing that like you include a good book and coffee in the garden, weeding, dividing and loving the labor. Things don't fill the gap people feel. I truly wish everyone would stop and be thankful for what you have....maybe someday.

Ruta M. said...

Hi Harriet,
Happyoneonce posted a quote which I wrote down as I thought it was so apt.
"The secret of happiness is to count your blessings while others add up their troubles."
I have a personal tendency to grumble and sometimes that is my way of dealing with stress especially at work but in my heart I know that there is so much in my life to be thankful for.
My personal goals/ambitions in life are to be (mostly) pain free, warm and live in beautiful surroundings with family and friends around while for my family I only wish for health and happiness in realtionships. Not too much to do with money in that lot.